Home Technical Talk

MAYA - Advanced IK twist controls help

Hello Polycount,

I have been trying to learn how to rig recently, however I have run into a snag that I can't seem to figure out. I have searched the forums as well as Google looking for an answer. While I have found some similar questions, none really went into my specific problem. So I apologize if there is something already posted which would help me solve this.

I'm creating neck joints for my rig, I have four 4 joints set up. I have oriented the joints with Y facing backwards (ATTACHED FIG.A). Everything works exactly how I want it to until I turn on the Advanced twist controls for the IKHandle. and set the mode to world rotation up (start/end) I use base and end bind joints as my start/end objects and my up as positive Y, opposite of the joints orientation. Here is where my problem lies, while choosing the up Vectors, I set Y to 1 as the bottom is positive y which works as I expect it to. However when I set the world up position for the end as -1 Y 1 Z I get a strange twist and the joints do not twist as expected. (ATTACHED FIG.B)

I think the problem Is I do not fully understand how to calculate the position for the up vector correctly. If anyone could help me out with this or point me in the right direction to anything that will, I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

Sorry about the not so great picture examples, quickly did them while at work. I do not have access to my file ATM, but can take actual screen shots if any more information is needed.

Thank you guys!

Replies