Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HL1 Tau Cannon

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys, I've been working on the HL1 Tau Cannon (best gun from the best game) trying to make it look like it's been assembled from spare lab parts and 3d printed components. It's my first model using DDO so I want to use the time to try and make lots of different materials.

I've still got a fair bit more to do on it but crits appreciated!

8ucWj5p.png
IUjFW0b.png
UI0Tz0A.png
HCVAnig.png
tacCHyq.png
nLmi1Nd.jpg

Replies

• Nomad6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad6 polycounter lvl 4
    I'd say you did it justice.
    Personally, i would've tryed to come closer to the original colors.
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit! I've been toying with that idea for a while now actually, I'll do a quick colour change later and see what it looks like :)
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    haha yes, nice ! :D

My only critic would be that the black pipe is kinda floating and clipping through the two different parts to where it's connected, without any plausible transition/fixation. Otherwise it's a bit noisy and aliased but the design works :) nice job
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man, I love that Raspberry Pi. It makes absolutely no sense canonically, but it's great! It really sells the 'junker' feel.

I'd say you might want to find a better spot for the handle, the green cover really doesn't touch anything specifically load bearing, it looks like it'd not only get hot there but it'd also be apt to break. I'd say make a holding structure along the white frame.
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys that's some really good crit, you've definitely pointed out some stuff that should be changed. I think I'll add a mount or washer or something for the black pipe so it doesn't look so stuck-on and then move the handle to the middle (it was there originally hah). I've also been talking to some guys at work and I think with the handle in the middle it might need another holding-handle on top and some sort of cushioning at the back-bottom, like foam taped on. I'll post an updated model as soon as I have it ready:)