Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

R2-D2 (WIP)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zyth polycounter lvl 12
In this thread I will be posting my R2-D2 project as I work on it. Critiques are welcome.

This asset would be for a PC/Console game. It also would be a major character, seen a lot and up close, perhaps as a companion in a 1st person game.

The Lowpoly Mesh

I’ve used the Ubervert Count script to get vertex and other info:

Ubervert Count
Mesh Verts - #: 7532
UV (Texture Verts) - #: 12483 60%
Smoothing Group Verts - #: 11827 63%
Color Vertices - #: 7532 100%
Material ID Verts - #: 7667 98%
Two Sided Material Verts - #: 0

The number of Texture Verts (How a game sees them) is: 12,483
The number of Mesh Verts (How a 3D content creation app displays them) is: 7,532

Is this acceptable? Too much? Too little?

Blue areas are in the 0-1 space. Green areas are mirrored (using symmetry) and are 1 unit outside the 0-1 space.

Are there areas with too much geometric detail or too little?

Front_Mirrored-UVs_zps6789d4b2.jpgRight_Mirrored-UVs_zps27c8c35b.jpg
Back_Mirrored-UVs_zps501a52a1.jpgLeft_Mirrored-UVs_zpsb17962b7.jpg

The UVs

The UVs for this mesh have been placed on two 2048x2048 UV islands. Is this too much texture space? The “Body” UVs make up most but not all of the UVs for the body. The “Legs” UVs contain all of the UVs for the legs and some for the body.

UV-Groups_Body_Isolated_zps9ca8fbcd.jpgUV-Groups_Legs_Isolated_zps91589ada.jpg
UV-Island_body_zps34712d42.jpgUV-Island_legs_zps6287a4d7.jpg

That's it for now.

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    It's not a case of too much or too little, it's about efficiency. You have a lot of polygons which aren't achieving anything.

For example:

3f25a435a9.jpg

Also you don't really need to give that much info for the polycount; you seem really hung up on this. Just be efficient and make some art.
  • Zyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyth polycounter lvl 12
    It's not a case of too much or too little, it's about efficiency. You have a lot of polygons which aren't achieving anything.

For example:

3f25a435a9.jpg

Also you don't really need to give that much info for the polycount; you seem really hung up on this. Just be efficient and make some art.

I'll see what I can do.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldn't mirror any of the uvs. If it's a main or playable character then the mirroring will be really obvious in any wear and tear on the texture. Don't get bogged down by polycounts, no art director is going to care if its 20000 or 60000 tris as long as it looks good and isn't wasteful.
  • Zyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyth polycounter lvl 12

Better? I've gotten rid of everything I could. Everything else is tied to the shape of the mesh, there to prevent n-gons, or used to prevent interpolation issues in the normal map.

I've also changed it so that most of the mesh has unique texture space (green areas have mirrored UVs).

front-and-right_Views01_zpse0002332.jpgbakc-and-leftViews01_zpsf5b6cb7f.jpgtop-and-bottomViews01_zpsaf030d23.jpg
  • Zyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyth polycounter lvl 12
    So I've finally gotten back to working on this. I'm creating the materials in Marmoset 2. I'd like to know if I'm going in the right direction for base colors, gloss, and specularity.

R2D2_snap001_zps8e0d935d.jpgR2D2_snap002_zps521ea2ee.jpgR2D2_snap005_zps248ca4a7.jpgR2D2_snap007_zps69763585.jpg
  • martygalinskas3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martygalinskas3d polycounter lvl 4
    the last picture, the blue on his head seems very blurry. are you going for a brand new R2-D2 or a realistic one?
  • Zyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyth polycounter lvl 12
    the last picture, the blue on his head seems very blurry. are you going for a brand new R2-D2 or a realistic one?

I'll be leaning towards realistic but he won't be clean. I'll be dirtying him up once I get the base color, gloss, and specularity dialed in.