Home Dota 2

Particle Effects

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Andumy polygon
Ok,i did this thread because even if is not oficial yet,particles are used quite a bit lately.
A very good tutorial was done by Vlad
HERE .
If you're trying to make a new particle system for a slot where there were already an existing particle effect is quite simple.
The pain begin when you try to attach a new particle system to a model that didn't had default effects.
I personally found these :

qc syntax
particle position

I managed to get with this until this point:
i decompile the mdl file (neighter the default .mdl file extracted from pak01_dir or after i've imported a fbx with maps into dota engine and after extracted the .mdl file from that zip ) with Crowbar .

After i extracted the materials, smd files and the qc file, i add an $attachment ((the syntax here ) )using the global coordinates that i got from maya for a vertex point(not sure if this should be done like this ) ,the syntax into $keyvalue block with name of my system particle ,attachment type and as attachment point the name of my early $attachment.

I compile now the new qc and the smd files and i replace the default vtx,mdl and vvd with the new one that i got .

As this, nothing will happen in game so i suppose neighter i forgot something neighter i don't do something properly.
I suspect that i should add also somewhere in alienswarm/sfm the name of CP but not pretty sure where .

Replies

• flashice2030@163.com
    hi,there
    Have you solved ur problem?
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Strange you don't get any help when the knowledge is out there.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Unlike modeling and 2D art, a lot of stuff regarding Dota 2 particles system has been mostly hush hush. Unless I am blind!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, getting the information (either by asking around or digging deep into the game files) is pretty tricky. I've made some good progress on that front recently, but I still have a few things to double check. I'll make sure to post some info as soon as I have it all verified.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Careful so you don't get the particle mafia on your neck Pior!
    just kidding. Looking forward to some technical information around particles.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    i would love to get the particle editor working, yet i fail to even start the damn thing or know where to look for it. i googled some tutorials but those dont seem to work nor point to the right direction.

could someone enlighten me on that matter?
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    @Coyo.Te http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/01/dota-2-particle-editor/

Remember to also download Source SDK or the particle editor won't show up in Alien Swarm.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx nannou, but i already did all that.
    but i got it running now. the problem was that alienswarm kept crashing to desktop after start. wasnt sure if i needed alienswarm or alienswarm sdk. it works now

but konras mentioned i could use sfm aswell and it would show particles better. could someone hint me in the right direction with that ?
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    but i got it running now. the problem was that alienswarm kept crashing to desktop after start. wasnt sure if i needed alienswarm or alienswarm sdk. it works now

but konras mentioned i could use sfm aswell and it would show particles better. could someone hint me in the right direction with that ?

I have the same problem
    The same thing happens with one of the decompilers
    I think it's because of windows 7-64 bit's drivers. They seem to be incompatible.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Coyo.Te wrote: »

I got the particle editor for alien swarm (not sdk) to work using vlad's guide. The only problem is that I can't view the particles. You have to do a couple steps and add this to the launch options "-tools -nop4"
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Verify integrity of game cache think i should fix it.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    -override_vpk too
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    Verify integrity of game cache think i should fix it.

exactly. i deleted the bin folder under alienswarm\swarm\ then reset my download region and restarted steam - after that verify game cache and integrity of alienswarm and it should be running afterwards in conjunction with modification of particles info and such as described in vlads tutorial

now i gonna check out sfm aswell. konras suggested, one can simply switch to particle editor in there. supposed to display particles better
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    For using SFM to display and edit particles you can take a look at this tutorial. If you are new to SFM i think you will find all you need in that tutorial series.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I am not sure now what quide I used to load dota 2 particles to SFM... I found those two:
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/07/dota-2-sfm-tutorial/
    http://wyksblog.com/guide-dota-2-content-in-sfm/

I think mostly I did what is described in Wyk guide with one example that I extracted also particle folder to SFM.

I have tried both alien swarm and sfm and what I was missing somehow in alien swarm is that terrorblades particles were not displayed correctly and there was no property as particle_snapshot to edit which is avalivle in sfm, or maybe I did something wrong with alien swarm ^^'

Anyway I am sure Wyk guide will work, just extract particle folder also.

Later to open hero particles you need to go to:
    \STEAM\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\dota\particles\units\heroes\hero_terrorblade.pcf for example
    Edit stuff
    Copy that pcf into:
    \STEAM\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\particles\units\heroes\

Launch dota with -override_vpk

Also when you want to use new model, materials or stuff like that you need to add them into materials and models folder both in SFM for test and dota 2 beta later for view.

Hope this helps somehow. If you will have problems you can always message me on steam I will try to help :)
  • flashice2030@163.com
    attach a new particle system to a model that didn't had default effects. ,is Andumy ' method is feasible or not,have you all ever tried out?
  • zatanas0102
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im making something for Bounty Hunter like a Dagger, so if u put particles on it are the particles going to be static or trigerred by jinada Skill ? if this needs scripting please just tell me :D
  • schnoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    Im making something for Bounty Hunter like a Dagger, so if u put particles on it are the particles going to be static or trigerred by jinada Skill ? if this needs scripting please just tell me :D

that depends what particles you edit in the Particle Editor. there are separate particles for the hit effect and the charged effect.

Also if you want a static effect on the blade, just create the particle, and attach it in the .qc file
  • hariss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi friends, I am just a beginner and recently have started exploring about making dota 2 items, I have many things in mind all information is getting mixed and confused but somehow I have sorted it out, adding particle effects has drawn my interest greatly in the subject, please can anyone tell me few things regarding this particle system, I have mentioned questions of my concern below these are as follows:

First: I want to make pudge hook as I have a great concept in mind, how can I edit or add particles to hook like the one named scorhing talon hook had.

Second: Particle effects like custom effect on bladedancer spell of juggernaut with different swords, how can we do that? It seems like it is some sort of triggered particle effect, where we can edit that custom effect which occur only at specific timing.

Third: I gathered some information somehow and came to know that we can edit or add particle to items which already have particle effect into it, where I can get the good tutorial of adding particles to items? and what we can do add particle effect to item which had no particle effect before, or add particle effect to only specific spell?

Please if you guys know anything just share with me, I am eagerly looking here and there and trying to contact some famous item creators but I have got no response yet, I really want to do that work I am so much crazy about it, at the same time you can also ask me anything whatever I know I would love to share my experience. thanks in advance. :)
  • Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    ACtually guys, you don't need to download dota 2 reborn or workshop tools or alien sdk. You just need to set "-tools -nop4" in your dota launch settings if you want to edit the particle effects. That's really the only thing I know about particle effects. Everything else is just a blur to me
  • Drew Carrymore
    This thread predates them fixing the dota 2 particle editor. At the time you had to use SFM or alien swarm.