Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

PETROL/BLOOD - CosmicHorizon / EchoCharlieDelta

Hey guys, we're artists from Melbourne based Opaque Multimedia taking a shot at the contest. We were already developing stuff using PBR in-house and thought that this was a good way to develop a better familiarity with PBR based art pipelines.

The concept we are developing is based on the idea of jousting or ritual combat, in that an advanced species is having a type of ritual tournament for some manner of either tribute, decision or festivity.

Both I and Cosmic are developing concepts and assets, but he should pop in soon to give a better overview of the themes and narrative that influenced design decisions. We've split the concepts up as I'll be working on the character/knight, Cosmic will tackle the craft/vehicle and we'll both hit the texturing/3D/dreaded UV elements.

We appreciate any feedback and good luck to everyone!

Stay tuned for vehicle concepts once Cosmic is done with them!

Replies

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Nice it looks really cool! =D

But decrease the image sizes so it doesn't take forever to load.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I want to look at this, but the mess of 8K images is killing my browser.
  • EchoCharlieDelta
    Hey sorry guys, we used the image URL ref instead of attaching and compressing images directly. I'll upload the compressed versions when I get some downtime tonight. Sorry again about that.
  • EchoCharlieDelta
    Here are the resized, much smaller, versions of the images.

We'll be adding more stuff through the week, including hopefully some block-outs.

sTKiSd3.jpg

eL41xHh.jpg

E2BU8tk.jpg
  • EchoCharlieDelta
  • EchoCharlieDelta
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    iiE0ck5.jpg

I like the concepts, but this helmet on the bottom right I love the hell out of.

Yay for Melbourne!
  • CosmicHorizon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Salve friends.

Coming up now are the references and first concept thumb for the craft.

As ECD said, the idea behind both the design of the rider and the craft revolves around the concept of ceremonial combat of a highly advanced civilization, meaning that the design for the craft is bound not by practicality, but mostly by aesthetics and the rules of the tournament.

In our discussion, the closest analogue we can draw is that of modern Formula 1 cars. There are strict rules about certain constraints, but then each team can do as they wish so long as these constraints are met.

So without further adieu, the concept for the "steed".

Reference:
    ONiozh3.jpg

We knew form the very onset that the craft will be some kind of hoverbike/ornithopter, but with heavy insectoid influence so that it is inline with the similarly insectoid physique of the rider. Functionally,the vehicle needs to allow riders to joust, like the Skybax riders from the venerated Dinotopia, meaning that the riders will have to be suitably exposed rather than encased in vehicle plating.

Here is the first round of concept thumbs:
    8zZe5a8.png

Hopefully it's fairly obvious how the designs reflect the reference materials and the brief. I will soon be updating the entry with some refinement in perspective.

Till then.
  • EchoCharlieDelta
    I like the concepts, but this helmet on the bottom right I love the hell out of.

Yay for Melbourne!

Actually, strangely, a few people have commented on that helmet. It was just a break-out experiment based off some old studies/sketches, but came out well.

I might develop that a bit further and see if it might be a better replacement to the hawk-mask we have now.

Norman says hi btw!

Go team Swinburne!
  • mikeParker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the concept work guys, I like the idea of using the insects antenna just like how a knights helmet has its feather.
  • CosmicHorizon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, here is a refinement on the first thumbnail sketches, which I realised just then was never posted due to some silly copypasta error. The link has now been fixed.

Craft Thumb 2
    xvNwtj3.png

This round of refinement is based on the two arrangements that we felt best blends aesthetics and functionality. In short, it works and looks awesome. We will probably have another round of sketches before we move to doing 3D paintovers. The rider also similarly receive another round of refinement as the concept for the craft becomes more developed.
  • EchoCharlieDelta
    Thanks Mike, we've switched over the concepts so that Cosmic is now looking at expanding the rider and I'm looking at drawing up more stuff for the hovercraft/mount, so when I get back to working on the rider I'll play around with more antennas.

Some more stuff today...
    Ksh0HVD.jpg
    PTiSKSH.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    uuh incomming strapon-vehicle
  • CosmicHorizon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    uuh incomming strapon-vehicle
    Hahahah!

I gave him so much shit for that too.

So ECD and I had a day where we worked on each other's concept. While he experimented with organic materials and hood ornaments, I took a stab at improving the profile of the rider.

wgfHfuX.png

The blue is the form of the old sketch so we can see the changes in proportion. I started from the helmet design that people seem to be very fond of. I intend to spend some time on exploring other possible head designs that may better reflect the insectoid origin of the rider.
  • EchoCharlieDelta