Home Freelance Job Postings

Looking for character artist

Hello, I am looking for someone capable of creating a character for my RPG game.
Read this thread carefully, I'll try to explain as much possible here!

I am the single developer of this game, and while for now I've been using a store bought character, now that my game was approved on Steam , I want to improve its graphics and have custom made characters.
I'm willing to pay good money if you are a good 3d artist and have all necessary skills for this project + plus enough free time.

Those are the features I need:

1 - One base low poly bald model (<650 tris)
2 - Character will be customizable by three methods
a - Swapping textures for different body parts/skin/hair
b - Attaching a great selection of hairs (20+)
c - Attaching hats/accessories
3 - Some way to have male/female versions necessary
4 - Some way to have different body types necessary (fat, muscular, kid, etc)
5 - Some way to retarget existing animations I already have
6 - Must be able to export to Milkshape3D format with animations included

Notes about specific points:
2a) A single texture should contain skin + hair + chest + legs + shoes + whatever else, all nicely packed together.
I will need at least 10 texture variations, those will include different hair colors, skin colors, and clothes. All textures must be done in handpainted cartoon style, very important!! (I will show you some guidelines/artstyle to follow). Logically, we will reuse the same UV map for all textures.

2b) I have all the hair meshs already done, what you will have to do is UV-remap them to the new textures done in step 2a

2c) I will need at least 10 hats (I will give descriptions of them later, but nothing really complex here)

3 & 4) if you have any ideas how to this via code/engine (eg: by messing with bone scales) it would be good. If not, we will have to resort to vertex editing only, not point in doing custom meshes for each variation, too much work. Be smart here, if really necessary I can drop point 4, however point 3 is essencial.

5) I have all animations I need, from a model I bought online (around 30 animations). I can give you a file containing all animations in a single timeline, you will have to retarget it to the skeleton of the character you will create.

6) I've done this before with other artists, the trick usually is exporting from Maya/whatever you are using to Source SMD format and import it back on Milkshape. If you know simpler methods, better!

So, if you are interested on this, and have the necessary skills (especially the animation retargeting, as the model will be useless without the animations!!!), contact me, with a link to your portfolio, and a price+time proposal.

Note - I'm a programmer but I have basic modelling+animation and image editing skills. I'm have solid notions of the work evolved on each phase of creating a character, please don't ask any money at all for basic stuff like making different hair colors + skin colors, as you can make those just by clicking a button in photoshop/whatever, I can do it myself if you prefer.
Only include in your price stuff that really takes work, aka creating the mesh, creating cloth texture variations + hat textures (if too expensive I'll do the hats mesh myself). About animation retargeting I'm not exactly sure how simple/complex it is, and if it requires animation in a specific format (I can give you source animations files in Maya mb format, or FBX if you don't use Maya), please discuss this with me via PM.

By the way, don't forget that I am an indie developer though, so I'm looking for a price in the 3 digit range, I cannot afford more than that. I'm willing to make some compromises, including doing some stuff myself (doing texture recolors, doing hat/acessories meshes, etc) or even dropping some requisites from the model (like the body shapes)

Interested ? Send a PM! :)
Any questions? Use the thread please, so that other people can see it, instead of answering the same things over and over again.

PS: I know that Unity has auto retargeting features now, but I'm not using Unity, so that's useless (unless you can actually retarget on Unity and export the results out, not sure if possible). I'm using a custom made engine, this is a big project from many years ago, changing to another engine is out of question.

Replies