Home Dota 2

Normal map issue

Hi, I'm having some issue with the normal map (baked in xnormal), it appears that the green channel is overexposed and I have no idea how to control it. First things firs-I am confused about flipping the Y channel to -(minus), when I see the normals on valves items and models, they look like they have inverted channels (like the uv-islands are all holes) And cannot figure how to set the baking options before I bake the normal in xnormals (should it be X+ Y+ Z+)... And from there I cannot figure if its a huge problem with my bake or it could be an issue even from the UV... So, can anyone help?! thank you

jWs0j5a.jpg

Replies

• Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Here is a bake with dota2 settings so you can compare. Its a sphere baked on flat plane.
    vV4MLGp.jpg
  • The Horse Strangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Horse Strangler polycounter lvl 3
    Have you tested the normal on the model in game? Specific channels will be brighter than others because of the extreme angles/smoothing groups you might of baked with. It's a completely normal thing.

Also you can bake your normal map with the default settings in xnormal. When you take the normalmap into photoshop you can then go to the green channel and invert JUST that specific channel.
  • Papaguj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Konras @The Horse Strangler
    Thanks guys, I guess it was just with inverting the green channel, I was not sure how the Dota 2 engine works, now the model looks great in-game, soon it will be on the workshop. Thanks a lot !! :)