Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ryse VFX Demoreel

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
fabiomsilva polycounter lvl 8
1184918_orig.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htdiNFEFdnQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htdiNFEFdnQ[/ame]

Hi guys, I've finally managed sometime to compile some of my work on Ryse: Son of Rome.

Big hug to my colleagues Caleb Essex and Daniel Festeranu who did also an amazing work with Fx. Also a thank you to Sean Ellis for some help. Needless to say it was a huge team effort. Hats off to everyone in the crew.

Hope you guys like it.
Cheers

follow me on: https://www.facebook.com/theartoffabio

Replies

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Awesome work guys, keep up the great work in the future.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    That's some really nice effects work right there. How did you do the pyroclastic smoke and big smoke columns in the beach assault scene?
  • Legion_studios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
    i forget the name of the centurion in this game since it's been a long time since i've read anything about it could anyone tell me?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i forget the name of the centurion in this game since it's been a long time since i've read anything about it could anyone tell me?

Marius Titus,

Fabio, awesome work mate, and very slick reel!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    excellent work :) sharing with the fx crew at work.
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabiomsilva polycounter lvl 8
    hi and thank you everyone for the nice comments.
    There was also a lot of people asking some questions on facebook and I'll try to answer them here as well.

As for breakdowns, im afraid its not going to be possible as Ive finished my contract with crytek a couple days ago since im moving to the usa to a new company.

smoke collumns - it depends on which one. Used several different techniques for different ones. some are particle based, others are more 2.5d animated matte paintings.

as for the ones in the beach landing, it's a mix of a lot of tricks and a new technique i developed specifically for 3 scenes in the game (the flaming boulder against the boat, the smoke tower in the distance, and later in the game the superstorm in the skies of york- im not sure if im forgetting some other one). Specially on the beach landing we were very constrained in the ammount of particles we could use as overdraw was insane (every enemy character has furcoats(transparency maps)+character hair, there's a lot of plants, and a lot of enviromental fx too, as well as battle fx, flaming arrows etc) so this is one of the reasons why i choose to this method and save on the ammount of particles. it was a bit more ram intensive, but with streaming in the end it was actually a much better deal than using more particles the gpu said thank you). I also to be honest prefer the look of it this way as it makes a more film quality effect.

since when we were developing we still didnt know the full specs of the machine we couldnt go crazy on texture sizes. I wish at the end we actually had more time to upres some of the textures. but in a way it wasnt much of an issue since we got really good sized sprites. the biggest challenge was the ammount of particles we could use due to overdraw.

any more questions feel free to ask and ill try to awnser :)
    cheers!

fabio
  • Legion_studios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
    @ jhonny raptor. thanks for the reply :)