Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-painted Textures - Feed me critique!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, Worked on some hand-painted textures for a recent project and would love some feedback, Ill soon be starting work on a portfolio (just finished University) So any advice is gladly welcomed!

This was all done during my final year at Uni, a lot of it I dont consider portfolio standard but I think some of it is salvageable. Will upload some of the models soon :D

lA3bzOY.png
bsimsMn.png
FBmUIRy.png
NXj1Jb9.png
Q06Y7pU.png
gHiOOxT.png
gcH3qLV.png
RNv0msH.png
OXGqBLJ.png
TEEMm0m.png
IQZD9rR.png
CpK2Iel.png
r9sOhIu.png
hbYFDkl.png

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    everything looks great! I'd love to see some environments or some weapons
  • JunkieKong
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Your details are awesome and you're really good at giving those rocks form, although one thing you may want to do is make the darker areas more saturated, which will stop the textures from looking kinda dirty - but it depends what you're going for. Not that I'm one to talk, but perhaps some more colour variation would push it that little bit further. Anyway, really nice work.
  • gamerjanne
    Offline / Send Message
    gamerjanne polycounter lvl 6
    Beautiful textures. Do you sculpt the textures in zbrush or do you just paint them?
  • Dennispls
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    a lot of rocks what the point ???
    Your post begs the same question.

Ontopic:

The textures look great! As said by others the darker areas could definitely use a bit of color.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I'll echo what the rest said and suggest making your ~75% darks a bit lighter first. Ur values tend to slope pretty radically from that point onwards towards black, even though some of them are meant as shadows rather than pure black. Sort the value first, then the color.
  • Eliteabix
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the feedback guys, greatly appreciated! I certainly agree that the darker areas are too black, Its something I had concerns with when painting them - I often worry that the texture becomes too washed out when I change the blacks, maybe I need to start with a defined pallet rather than just going for it and then trying to edit the hues/contrast etc after.
    gamerjanne wrote: »
    Beautiful textures. Do you sculpt the textures in zbrush or do you just paint them?

Some of them are straight up hand painted, some of them are from sculpts

Ill see If I can make some changes and then Ill upload what Ive got - will upload some of the models too.

Cheers again!

Some textures I forgot to upload -

UhdGFDd.png
    hbYFDkl.png
  • atomander
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Eliteabix, really great stuff! In particular, I really love the foliage. One thing to think about might be to introduce some subtle color variations in your tiles between stones, planks of wood, tiles, etc. I would check out about half way down this thread; there is a pretty neat rock breakdown using a really nice warm palette.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89131