Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Borderlands Inspired Character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
razz polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone!

So, it's exam weeks and I'm doing a 3D character. I have until June 13th, must design, sculpt, retopo, UV, texture, shade and render a turnaround. With that in mind, please critique the design!

I'm gonna start modeling tomorrow, but there's time for changes. Going to be long days of work here.

XQvmKlv.jpg

Replies

• SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome concept, cant wait to see result
    Dis_gon_b_gud.gif
  • Windmaker
    Offline / Send Message
    Windmaker polycounter lvl 18
    Really love the design! I don't see anything worth critiquing. Maybe, think of adding a strap or something to show how that shoulder guard is held in place. Also, I'd try moving the bag on the waist to the other side, so that you don't have all of your asymmetrical protrusions of the silhouette all on one side. Right now even the tongue of the shoe that sticks out is on that side.

Awesome design nonetheless!

Looking forward to seeing this progress!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Fek me, that meme...

Nice design you got, looking forward to the model :)
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Torch wrote: »
    Fek me, that meme...

Nice design you got, looking forward to the model :)

Its the best way to describe my enthusiasm in picture form.
    There are others, but this one is just perfect.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Sabor, praise the sun!

Windmaker, thanks a lot! I did some fixes to the design, well noticed about all the protrusions, completely didn't see that at all. I think some things may change when I move into 3D, but hopefully it will translate well.

Torch, going to start working on it today!! Thanks!

Here are some colors. Asked a few people in class which one they prefer and it was either 1 or 3. I'll start modeling now and leave the colors for when I get to texturing.
    TbRpMj5.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Shitty 3d screenshot time!

Everything's UVed and ready for Zbrush, yay!! I'll post more nicer stuff when I have some details sculpted in. I'll use dynamesh for the hair, so no base mesh for that.

I need a name for her. Any suggestions?

lpixAhF.jpg
  • GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    The leg from the kneecap down looks odd to me. Short. Ankles are very thin. I love Borderlands so will keep an eye on this.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Really reminds me to this (sorry but I couldn't find the original concept, so I took one pic from the newbie thread):
    2qfkm3.png
  • Windmaker
    Offline / Send Message
    Windmaker polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! I admire you spending time to make such detailed base meshes. If it were me, I'd start with terrible looking blobs straight in ZBrush:)

Looking forward to the next update!
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    GOBEE, I'll be fixing those things in zbrush, thanks for the feedback!

Obscura, well spotted! I had that one in my inspiration folder while designing this and my first design was very much like it, but then I kind of just kept the forms and added some borderlands, haha. I like that concept soo much!

Windmaker, thank you! It's just the process I'm most familiar with. I'd like to be doing more work in zbrush, but I don't know it well enough to start out there. Not much time to experiment, too much to do!

Started Zbrushing! Feedback very much welcome, I'll try and fix things if I get the time ;]
    4X6XP7n.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Not perfect, but deadlines are getting too close. Too bad there's no time to polish every detail.

zdJNocl.jpg
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I'd give her vest a little more love when it comes to the silhouette. You could have it flare out, or do something else. In addition, I'd take a look at some proportions and other things. The necks on characters in Borderlands are not as exaggerated as what you've got for your character. Take a look at Tiny Tina and Gaige and you'll see what I mean. In addition, I think the head might be slightly too large. Yours currently reminds me a lot more of pixar and dreamworks style proportions on the head and neck than what Borderlands has. I'd also take a look at the folds on the vest. They seem to have no real purpose or direction. The folds on a vest like that would likely be pipe folds and diaper folds coming down from and tension points.

Look for some reference on vests and some reference for your proportions. Other than that, keep on working hard. It's great progress so far and I'd love to see how this turns out.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    TristanCarter, thanks for the great feedback. I took it into consideration and tried fixing things in the little time that I had. I'll try and be more aware of those things on my next one as well. Thanks a lot!

Now though, exams are over and I'm thinking of either revisiting or starting a new one. I had to rush with all the things when doing this, so I'm not too happy with the result.
    GeepMCu.jpg
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    If I were you, I'd definitely come back to it. You've got a solid foundation of a character that could definitely fit into the Borderlands universe. However, it can always be frustrating to immediately start working on a project like this again especially because of how rushed you felt creating the character for your exams. So, I'd recommend starting and finishing a new project and then coming back to this character and altering it as you see fit so that it could fit into a Borderlands game. If nothing else, take what you've got and create the textured game ready low poly.

Good work, and can't wait to see your next project.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    design, sculpt, retopo, UV, texture, shade and render a turnaround.
    10 days for all that is intense. You should revisit this some time and improve it further.

Note, the jackal-ear girl in the concept is from Konstantin Maystrenko.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    TristanCarter, thank you for great advice! I think I do need a break from it, so I'll do just that. Already started a little something, may create a thread if it goes well ;]

PyrZern, it's been rough. When I reached the point of texturing and shading I realized I can't make it, that's why the one material with minimal textures there. I hope to come back to it after a while to make a game res model. Thanks for the info on the concept!

Cheers everyone! I guess this is gonna stay quiet for a while now.