Home General Discussion

Innovative Game Ideas: Feedback from the Community

Hi. I am not sure if this is the correct section to put this in, but I have a few game ideas and I would like some feedback from the community on which one has the most potential. I know it really depends on the quality of the work, but I would still like some feedback . Also, some ideas are more thought through than others, but please ignore than, considering the idea that I chose to develop will be completely thought through.

1. A multiplayer FPS where you are a toy soldier fighting "battles" in a residential apartment or house, including a front and backyard. The soldiers have different weapons, vehicles, etc. and each battle has a different objective, e.g. search and rescue of a fellow hostage or other toy, protecting you base, etc. Each soldier is maybe a foot tall.

2. A multiplayer survival game with aliens. There are a lot of survival games with zombies, but I don't know many good ones with aliens. You would spawn with nothing, but some basic clothes. In order to survive, you would need to protect yourself from looters and aliens. The setting would be more of a post apocalyptic island (100 square kilometers). Guns and bullets would be scarce to prevent people from camping. There would be a day and night system, where during the day the aliens are less violent than at night, where you would need to find shelter. Unlike DayZ, the AI would be very advanced.

3. A multiplayer war simulator, where there are battles of 32 vs 32. The setting is similar to ARMA, in that there is a very large mountainous island with villages, military bases, forests, rivers and lakes, etc. All of the vehicles and weapons are realistic. The game would be centralized around team work, for example the only way to heal an injured soldier would be to put him on a truck and deliver him to the nearest military hospital. Another example is to fly a plane, you need a pilot and a co-pilot. The pilot flies, while the co-pilot shoots. If the plane gets shot down and the soldiers ejected in time, they now have to find there way back to a friendly base with only a pistol and each other. In order to maintain a sense of team work, players will gain points by helping other players. These points can be redeemed for weapons, vehicle upgrades, etc. Another aspect of the game is the ranking system. The highest rank, the generals, have a 2 minute period in the beginning of every battle to plan out the war (so giving the officers and other soldiers a generalized idea of where to go). The officers, the middle rank, are in command of several soldiers. They give the soldiers a generalized idea of where to go. The soldiers, the lowest rank, are the guys following through with the battle plan. All generals, officers, and soldiers fight.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    non of these are really new or innovative ideas, like your title says, just the same ideas that have been used since fps games got popular. Also what do you plan to do with this poll, ideas in this industry are a dime a dozen, everyone has ideas.

If you want your ideas to go somewhere, you need to the skills yourself to push them, or the money to fund it.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Toy soldier fps

small soldiers: the game??
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Passerby summed it up, these are all fairly generic ideas, not that it's a bad thing. The fact is, everybody has a dream game that they'd like to play/make, but making games isn't easy. If you want to play any of these games you thought of, then you'll have to learn how to make them yourself (or find a group of people that want to make the game with you.)

I'd imagine all designer positions are exclusive to people with many years of professional experience, people who have worked their way up from the very bottom of the industry as they have obtained a large variety of development skills.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    People use the terms "Creative", "Innovative" vs "Cliche" and "Derivitive" just in order to denote their subjective tastes.

For exmaple, Persona 4. Is it creative or is it an rpg smacked on top of a dating sim? Because of it's incredible execution, people tend to love the game, so they are more likely to say it's creative than derivative.

So if you want an innovative concept. Just do a concept that is enjoyable and do it with excellence. Then people will say you are "creative" beause of the fact that they enjoy the game.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    To be fair, there really aren't a lot of games that are a combination of RPG and dating sim elements. Creativity is, in a vast majority of cases, a remixing of things already in existence. Innovation is something that goes more directly against established custom or mores. An innovative game could be, as a random off-the-cuff example, a first person shooter in which you can't use guns but enemies can. That's a direct move against what's expected and could be pretty amazing if pulled off well.

The games listed here are not really a new combination of things or in contrast to genre or form expectations. In fact, I'm reasonably sure I've played games that fit all of the descriptions noted.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    My issue with the ideas (or at least the way they were presented) was the fact that there were direct comparisons to already existing games "unlike DayZ, like ARMA, etc." For something to be "unique" you should not have to make comparisons, instead, you should let others make the comparisons for you.

Plus, there's the fact that there are a number of titles that play almost identically to how any of the descriptions were given. I believe there were some older shooters where you play as toy soldiers, the second idea is basically "DayZ with aliens, but it's better!" and the third idea sounds identical to ARMA with some features of RO2 thrown into the mix.

"New" ideas aren't always necessarily going to be "good" ideas (I'm looking at you, Penis Tank MMO!) but for an idea to be appealing, it needs to be fleshed out and given some kind of unique identity, at least in my opinion.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    If you want innovative games, you need innovate GAMEPLAY or GAME FEATURES.
    None of those you list has any.