Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animal Characters WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Windmaker polycounter lvl 18
Hello, good people of Polycount!
Since I haven't modeled anything personal in... ever, I decided to start working on a series of characters to keep me busy after work hours.

The concepts aren't incredibly fleshed out, since they were all just digital doodles, but I liked them enough to start working on them, sooo... here you go.

I'm thinking of starting work on the basemeshes for all the clothes and whatnot now. And someday, hopefully, I'll get to making them realtime and painting pretty textures for them all!

Any feedback is more than welcome!

Thanks for looking!

3rx2.jpg
u0vi.jpg

yvpn.jpg
x9sul.jpg
aky9x.jpg
kziqn.jpg

Replies

• Torsoaril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torsoaril polycounter lvl 5
    I'm digging the concepts they have a nice balance of detail and rest in them. Looking really nice so far I would say to look at your Cat sculpt again regarding the extra arms. I still need to work on my own anatomy a lot so can't point out specifics but they feel more stuck on. Would the second set need shoulder blades like the first an an extended rib cage with a repeats of the shoulder bone structure? Would the extra arms not be in line with the second set instead of further round the body? I could be way off but something about the join to the body doesn't seem right to me.

Hope some of it is helpful in someway :) looking forward to seeing some progress on these.
  • Kharon Alpua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would agree with Torsoaril about the Cat -- in the concept art, the arms almost seem to attach either even with or behind the primary pair of arms, while in the sculpt they're attached towards the front of the body. It may be hard to get in and sculpt the right shapes from the correct position, but connecting the arms more properly will help a lot.

I would also suggest pulling the muzzle on the Cat out a bit more -- from the profile, the face looks incredibly flat, awkwardly so to my eye. You need to keep it subtle so it doesn't look too far off, but it looks like it's just missing some of the depth a cat's face would have.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I think a couple of things are throwing the cat off currently. First the fact that second set of arms are soo much farther forward on the torso than the other set of arms ( this is really elongation the pectoral muscles of the upper arm to the point that they don't make sense). Second the lack of anatomical markings for the second set of arms. Here is some anatomy stuff from the aliens in John Carter that might help:

anatomy.jpg
  • Windmaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Windmaker polycounter lvl 18
    Hi all! And thanks for the feedback! And the great reference. I was wondering where to get ref for believable four arms anatomy.

Torsoaril: Thanks! I'm really happy you like the concepts! As for the anatomy- you're probably right. Hopefully, the issue will be sorted out!:)

Kharon Alpua: You have a point about the apparent arms position in the concept. I'll look into that!
    As for the muzzle- have you seen persian cats? I have one at home and it's face is pretty flat. Though I might have messed something up nonetheless. I'll try experimenting with the muzzle!

stevston89: Thank you! That's great reference material! I've messed something up during sculpting as I'll show below, so I'll try to sort this out before continuing.

So, since all of you pointed the arms issue out, there is probably something wrong there. Though I'm not sure what. Here is a screengrab from an earlier state, before I started adding fur. And a diagram of what I intended the skeleton to be. I think it makes some sense, though I might be wrong. There is an extra pair of scapulae and it is more on the side of the rib cage. Also, the sternum starts protruding farther out (like in birds) to give more surface area for the lower set of pectorals to attach to. In a sense, they're shorter, but thicker.

tjmv.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I think it's just the fact that the lower arm is so far forward. I did a paintover with a suggestion for the arm placement and how I would handle the muscle structure. Take it or leave it I am not really an expert on this stuff yet. Hope it helps!

9WKL5Yg.gif
  • DarrenFlowers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are very talented can't wait to see Armour on them if you take it that far