Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

2D hand painted textures

Hey guys,
here are two hand painted textures that I've made.
It took four to five hours to paint one of them, they are tiling.
I hope you like it. Critiques are welcome :D

Replies

• HammerFist3D2D
    Really nice, personaly favourite is first. Want to suggest any videos, online or pdf tutorials for me because I really need em.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good. I think you need to punch up the contrast quite a bit. Its actually better to have to low contrast than high, but this is to much. The first textures need to be lighter. I would also try to render in some more noise. try to make some stones lighter and darker, and mix colors more. Otherwise fantastic job!. The tiling looks great on the first texture.
  • Raptor_Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job! have you just started out or have you been doing hand painted textures for a while now? I don't mean to suggest they look like a noob has done them as they look great, I'm just curious because I'm starting out with hand painted textures myself and would like some advise :)

I'm no expert but I'm with jimpaw, try to make some of the stones lighter and darker and you should find it looks a lot better with a little variation between the light and dark values. I did this with one I did and it looked much better. Great work though, keep it up!
  • Raptor_Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is one that I've done, this is my first attempt though, I've just started out with the hand painted stuff so advise would be nice :)
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Here is one that I've done, this is my first attempt though, I've just started out with the hand painted stuff so advise would be nice :)

Here are some feedback:

1. Never make cracks that big, it will make the stones look like they are floating in space. Its better to let the sides of each the stones "meet" and then maybe do a thin line at the bottom.

2. Stay away from to light colors and to dark as well. The worst thing you could do is to place them next to each other, your eye will be drawn there at once. I can guarantee you that in real life "black is not black" like that.

3. Also as I stated before it it also good to render some details in the stones, they are the one people should look at! The ones you have are almost completely flat.

4. study the material you are painting more, photos and especially other peoples hand painted stuff, you will learn a lot.

5. don't be afraid to blend in some other color to create variation. Try to see all detailing like another opportunity to hide tiling and make the texture look better.

There is so much else to think about but thats a good start. I made a quick sketch on your texture and so much fun with it that i desided to do something else. I completely went overboard with the render so its not a very accurate paint over but i am sure you get the idea.

Hope it helped you some, keep em comming!
  • Raptor_Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that paint over is so much better! Thanks for the advise I shall keep practising :)
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    wow that paint over is so much better! Thanks for the advise I shall keep practising :)

I am glad you liked it. I will finnish the new texture and upload it here so you can se what i made. Just keep on painting and you will get there!