Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge June 2014 (20)

Replies

• JPomeisl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JPomeisl polycounter lvl 3
    siraniks: can go either way for both...whatever works best/makes sense to you. try it both ways and see what'll work for you.
    editing/creating objects outside of the engine just seems easier and gives more control - even if it means importing multiple times.

thanks to everyone who commented/critiqued
    calling it done. keep it up all.

4PHTUvp.jpg
  • jacksterooney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacksterooney polycounter lvl 6
    This is my first post in this thread, but here is my WIP of the scene so far. To do: radio equipment, wires, gas mask, polish. I also recently remodelled my pillows, so I have also included a before/after shot below.

VzZ0rBq.jpg

UoKb8sy.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    I was wondering some of those same questions myself that Siraniks asked. I baked the beveled and smoothed edges of my walls ... is anyone else doing that? If they were done in the editor then they would have hard edges.

I began to place multiple UVs into the same sheet and quickly found my system slowing down. I also felt that I was giving myself way too much to wrap my head around on my first game environment so I'm mostly putting things together in their own sheet. The bed and posts are one, the chair is one, the locker is one, etc. I haven't done the shelf yet though.

My next question is whether or not to unwrap all the wires and pipes? The big ones will need definition, so yes to them. I starting unwrapping all of them but am now thinking it unnecessary. The cables and electrical wires could probably just use a black material in the editor correct? They are simply cylinders so they don't grab AO except on the very ends maybe when they connect into something ... in which case I again am thinking they are so thin that it won't matter. Thoughts?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone's work is way beyond mine here so thought I would try to make just a few objects and put them in UE4 to try and understand the workflow. Never done a high poly to low poly bake before so could use as much feedback as I can get. I have a weird seam in the middle of the handle because I mirrored the geometry, anyone know how to fix that? Ohh and the object is 1100 poly's.. too much?

TV_Low_Poly_zps52c14f5d.jpg

If you are concerned about the tri-count being too much, 1100 doesn't sound like too much to me, but you would help us help you more by posting the wireframe. That way we can tell whether or not you are wasting the tris versus using them well. Thats more important I think. If this is your first high poly bake then thats pretty nice work.
  • blackkeys25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback ScottMichaelH, I wasn't really sure how to do a wireframe but I've given it a go.

TV_Wireframe_Front_zpsde1c190d.jpg

To try and help you with some of your questions, I wouldn't worry about trying to fit every object on the one UV. It will make very little difference on performance. The only time I put multiple objects on the one UV is if I have a lot of space on one and it would be wasteful to leave it empty. Using up all the space is the key.

As for the pipes and wires I would have probably done them in sections and unwrap. It would take very litle time. That's just the way I would do it anyway, but I am just learning as well :) just did a very quick sketch of what I would have done, hope it makes sense.

Pipesdiagram_zps197e2765.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    siraniks wrote: »
    i have a lot of questions...

and doing with the textures,
    does every objects have their own separate texture file
    or one big texture file for all objects?

I'd say do whatever is easier for you. Some objects share similar materials so it could speed things up to pack them together, but then it can be a bit overwhelming trying to deal with dozens of objects at once.
    Some engines require specific workflows but you shouldn't worry too much about it here, since it's a small scene. It'd be better to focus on getting it done quicker :)
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    MeshPotato wrote: »
    Started UV'ing and Texturing the scene:
    ibhSy6LyPmwEhw.png

How do you get that metallic scratchy feel from your textures?
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    xChris wrote: »
    How do you get that metallic scratchy feel from your textures?

I Generate masks for the appropriate effects, and use them to layer different materials. That way I end up with dynamic effect filters.
    For super specific detail, I usually just hand-paint it in Substance Painter.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshPotato wrote: »
    I Generate masks for the appropriate effects, and use them to layer different materials. That way I end up with dynamic effect filters.
    For super specific detail, I usually just hand-paint it in Substance Painter.

Gotcha, thanks man!
  • polygobbler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygobbler polycounter lvl 5
    Decided to give the whole scene a try. 5 and a half days to finish... Challenge accepted! Oh and this will be mt first challenge here on Polycount.
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siraniks polycounter lvl 10
    thanks guys for the feedback,
    I go down to one texture per object :D

Decided to use Marmoset Toolbag 2.0 for quick implementation of materials than using UE4, because deadline is fast approaching ...

For the meantime, I just use the Toolbag's quick material presets (I'll create my own texture maps later in the process, I'm just enjoying the view of my normal maps)

marmoset-locker.png

marmoset_bed.png
  • polygobbler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygobbler polycounter lvl 5
    Day 2.
    Blockout 90% complete.
    show.php?id=73159

Everyones scenes and props are looking awesome. Keep it up!
  • Thierryart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thierryart polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, this is where i am with my scene. Need to finish some props and add dirt NFU0695.jpg
    First time with Unreal 4
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thierryart wrote: »
    Hey guys, this is where i am with my scene. Need to finish some props and add dirt NFU0695.jpg
    First time with Unreal 4

wow that's great :)
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know if its possible to put a whole scene like this in sketchfab? Thinking about doing that.

Also, how did people go about cutting in the horizontal dents at the bottom and top of the lockers? Did you guys just use textures? Can't think of a way of making them without messing up the mesh
  • jnascimento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnascimento polycounter lvl 4
    First experience with UDK.
    Every object only has normal and difuse (color + AO).
    Still need to add texture to it, and Specular.

ScreenShot00000_zps0b2aa70d.png
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Got a clean bake on my bed after a few small fixes to my edge normals. Displayed it in Toolbag, I'm working on the desk bake at the moment which unfortunately is having a banding issue in the green channel right now, but hopefully that'll get fixed.
    rpqmWL6.png
  • Leetchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leetchi polycounter lvl 10
    Well, since I've got to move and start something else, I'll call this done for the moment. Since it was my second time practicing realtime rendering, I'm pretty happy with the result even though there are some props missing and everything could be improved. Anyway, I'll try to finish this later.

ihCno7I.jpg

More shots on my site http://emmanuelaurengo.blogspot.fr/
    C&C are welcome!
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is for now, some textures are missing ... if there is still time left before the deadline ... i'll add up those missing textures

screenshot001.png
  • Carter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not going to be able to finish this to a level I'm happy with - going to continue to work on the scene and wait for the next challenge when I can actually start from day one!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    19.jpg

Here a couple more Unity shots of normal and high poly AO bakes. As is always the case I took much more time (3x) with the "low poly - UV - bake" portion than the high poly model. Next I need to combine all the final models into one file, low poly AO bake, then finally start painting. The plan (as has been my tendency lately) is to put down a base in Photoshop with some solid colors and photo textures, combine with a leveled high and low AO, then paint details in Mudbox. I've never painted this much in Mudbox ... interested in seeing how it goes!

As for the side note pictured, has anyone else baking with 3ds Max had this happen to them?! It's happened to me multiple times where you change the size of the map, but then the bake comes out low res. You come back to the bake options and see the change of size in the output but the input column for the width and height is saying 256?
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Here's the finished render of my fusion coil:
    robinkarlsson-coil-lp-xl.jpg
    1024*2048 textures and ~1400 tris.

It took way too long to create, but I think I learned quite a bit during this project so I feel it was worth it anyway.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    k9dm.png

I never got around to texturing this yet. But Here is the test bake from it.

Looks great Nosslak!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex should I continue to post in this thread or make a new one?
  • LaLi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work everybody!! (-:
    I've come this far.
    (displayed in Unity)
    10428331_10152265102429001_5096183497542694367_o.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Here is the progress I was able to make on this one. I only was able to knock out a normal map for most of the smaller bits. Here's what that looks like so far:
    nrml_shot_a.jpg

and here are some progress shots from Marmoset. I only had a couple of days left in the month once I got the assets into Marmoset, so I spent the last couple of days learning and tweeking lighting setups in Marmoset.

screenshot000.png
    screenshot002.png
    screenshot003.png
    screenshot007.png

wires shot:
    wires_a.jpg

I like this enough that I think I'll try to get it to a more final state.
    thanks for checkin it out!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Just got back to this, had to stop working for a few days to move to another apartment. Missed the deadline but i'll keep working on it!
    I've just started texturing the low polies:
    bunker_preview_13.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lockerRenders.jpg

chairRender.jpg

I posted a new thread ... noticed people were still here ... now I'm back. Props in Unity. Once I get to this point, it moves quickly.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    comRender.jpg
    BedRender.jpg

Do you think the Com specular works? I'm trying to up my knowledge on maps and rendering.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Doing a first pass on the textures, I'll need to do another one later on and fix some baking issues:
    bunker_preview_15.jpg

@scott: I think your textures are too muddy, it's very hard to make out what are they. Try starting with clean base materials and then only adding the dirt on them once you nail the base look. Here's some reference: http://wiki.polycount.com/PBR?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTexturing%5Cb%29
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Now some small props:

bunker_preview_16.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shelfRenders.jpg

Thanks. There's no PBR in my workflow yet. After talking with Earthquake and Quack! on another post, I decided to finish this out as I know how, then move on to Unreal 4 in the near future.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Lunch hour textures:
    bunker_preview_17.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Another quick one:
    bunker_preview_18.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHELF.jpg

I think these are an improvement.
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ziosnarf polycounter lvl 9
    I don't have time to finish this project but all your works guys are interesting. Now I read this topic only for see your work.
    Can you post your low wireframe and textures please ? I am a realy noob and don't understand how to make some elements like low bevel and optimize texture / uv.
  • Bruno Afonseca
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ziosnarf wrote: »
    I don't have time to finish this project but all your works guys are interesting. Now I read this topic only for see your work.
    Can you post your low wireframe and textures please ? I am a realy noob and don't understand how to make some elements like low bevel and optimize texture / uv.

Sure. I owe some thanks again to Bruno for the push to rework the textures for the extinguisher, communicator, chair and especially the lockers:

wire-4.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Technically the lockers on both sides are connected in the finally mesh, but I deleted the left half just to show the right half by itself here with the polycount. I think this locker is much better.

I'm finally done with the Diffuse, specs and normals. I learned a lot about spec maps here. Next I need to set up the emissives, lighting and I will be finished :)
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i'm still chugging away at this one too!
    Just the few metal pieces on the floor to bake out and the gask mask, then its on to final textures
    Still lots of learning of the Marmoset toolbag. Loving it so far!

screenshot008.png
  • ScottHoneycutt
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    render01-3.jpg

Finished! :D!

Here's the link to my portfolio page with several close ups and a wireframe of the whole scene.

http://scottmichaelh.cgsociety.org/art/3ds-max-mudbox-photoshop-udk-meshlab-bunker-architecture-3d-1200493

I had several lightmap issues and had never done reflections in a UDK. I made a slight adjustment with the color grading lookup table. Overall it's been a pleasure to work on this with everyone. It was my first full game environment so I learned quite a bit about modeling faster, unwrapping (two uvs each), lightmaps, Unreal lighting and materials, etc.

@Bruno: looking forward to seeing yours finished :)
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had several lightmap issues and had never done reflections
    For UDK I have done something...
    You can use 2 types of reflecting :
    SceneCaputreMapActor - environment map for everything object
    SceneCaputreReflector - 2D reflection for planar object (ground)
    /!\ You may encounter display problem, switch DirectX 9 or 11 : File > Switch Renderer
    Place actor you want in your scene (create new layer to hide object when you want).
    002_udk_reflection.PNG

Now you need to create the corresponding texture to save the render.
    SceneCaptureCubeMapActor => TextureRenderTargetCube
    SceneCaptureReflectorActor => TextureRenderTarget2D

004_udk_reflection.PNG

Next, you assign texture to actor.
    003_udk_reflection.PNG

Create Material (I have only made for de the ground)
    005_udk_reflection.PNG

At end you have something like this :
    001_udk_reflection.PNG
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow you guys are great, I thought you hit pass deadline it's done ...
    I was encourage to finish mine too ...
  • KassEscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KassEscoe polycounter lvl 3
    sadly i didn't get to finish, i ran out of free time so this is a far as i got.
    I decided to go for a post apocalyptic look.
    BsYqBfiIAAAq6G-.jpg

supposed to be a flickering light but the gif made it look a little weird
    F9GzATl.gif
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I'm still working on mine as my time allows. Here's a textured low poly:
    bunker_preview_22.jpg

@Ziosnarf: Here's a wireframe and texture:
    bunker_preview_21.jpg
    bunker_preview_20.jpg
    They're sharing the same texture. I'm not too happy with the material definition on this one, so I'll go back and rework it. Do you have any specific questions? If so, let me know so I can try to help!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still working on mine as my time allows. Here's a textured low poly:
    bunker_preview_22.jpg

I like the work on the box-shaped section at the end of the "hose". I feel that the unpainted metal parts at the ends of the "hose" are a bit too much. If it were a gas mask laying on the floor of a military bunker, it would likely have more imperfection ... maybe a little dirt build up at least, or some roughness. Besides that I feel like it breaks up the color scheme a bit making it quite busy.
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bruno Afonseca : Thank you for the wireframe
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey Scott,
    You're right, I've done another quick pass on it. This is my first time dealing with PBR so I'm learning as I go :) Also testing it on multiple lighting schemes to see if it holds up.
    bunker_preview_23.jpg
    Just a few things left to do before I start assembling the scene. Might be a better idea to iterate further on those materials with everything in place!