Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rivet Gun - Bioshock2

Elith2
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
In a continued effort to do more personal work I am going to start this thread.

So yes, this is one of the concepts I am working from the other is from the Deco Devolution artbook which has some very slight differences.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120411184636/bioshock/images/2/22/Bio221.jpg.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100723044644/bioshock/images/6/62/Rivet.jpeg

I haven't been 100% faithful to the concept, main changes being bolts and knuts in places that look like smoother caps in the concept and I've slightly tweaked the handle to be less flat, nothing that would effect the players view if it was used in the context of a game.

Enough typing, this is where I am at so far.

hBmPcuA.png

Replies

• Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Been picking away at this when I have time, changed up the hand grip via crits elsewhere to make it look more comfortable, just rounded it off a bit and tided up some stuff with the grip in general.

Still trying to work out how the ammo actually gets into the gun, looking at the concept and in the game is pretty unclear, i'll work something out for that though.

So yeah, updates.

DLMfhB0.png
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Updates on where I am at with the high poly. Pretty much done with this stage now thankfully, there's a few details I will just get out at the end in Ndo2 but yeah, there you go.

pkRNKYY.png
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Damn that is so clean. Really cool. Can't wait to see the final result !
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Very nice and clean bake. Two things that irk me about the model though. I don't like how the handle area just intersects into the rest of the gun. Also, while you may have been following the concept, I really don't like the square grip. It'd dig into your hands really quickly! It's not worth fixing these, but things I would bear in mind for the future. Otherwise looking really nice :poly108:
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for taking a look guys and the kind words.

ghaztehschmexeh - That's just the high poly, I wish that was it baked :D

I had tried to soften the grip up a while back but I think you are right I could have taken it further. And I think you are right on the handle/body connection and it just mashing into the body not being very elegant. As you said things to keep in mind for the future :)

I'd quite like to get this closer to a finished stage at this point.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    High poly looks great! Imho, it's a bit hard to see how it would actually fire because there's a lot going on, but that's inherent to the concept so I can't fault you on that. Good Textures/materials should fix that though.
  • EdHanley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EdHanley polycounter lvl 9
    So cool man! I love Bioshock so much. How do you intend to render the final shots?

Ed
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    komaokc - Thanks man, yeah to be honest the more time I spent with it, the more I realised I have no idea how it's actually meant to fire. I was going to try fix it, but I think yeah as you said, there is so much going on that You just kind of assume it must work, and I didn't want to ruin it the concept by tacking on additional bits that may not fit as well to try make it look more functional.

eddie10sixty6 - Thanks man :) Once it's all done it'll be in Marmoset 2, mainly so I can get myself more accustomed with the PBR workflow.

The most recent shots and the ones before that were in Marmoset 2, absolutely love it's ability to just handle anything you throw at it polycount wise.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Just a quick update to get some feedback about the handle and if this seems like it would be a bit more user friendly

ife9YLl.png

Thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated on that.

I'll get started on the low poly and just mull that one over :)

Cheers.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    ghaztehschmexeh - That's just the high poly, I wish that was it baked :D
    Aha, I assume you rendered in marmoset which is what threw me off. I should probably learn to read.

Handle looks much better. Now just connect the handle area to the front and you are good to go! It doesn't have to be just a pure subd connection, maybe just some mechanical way of them connecting.
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice work Colin :) Great stuff!
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    So the low poly is complete.

VMbMc2U.png

I've actually noticed about 3 issues on the bake while I was putting these images together.

So they will be fixed.

But yeah it's come in just shy of 30k tris.

Also thanks Noel :)

And Ghaz for the feedback on the handle.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Clean bake! I dont know if 30k is too much though..i get these is a ton of pips and round things and poly counts are higher these days. But i feel like 20/25k would be better? Can we see wires? please <3
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    lx6kRRp.png

Wires!

I think current gen wise it would be a pretty standard amount, looking at it, I could have probably pulled a few tris out in some areas, but I don't think pulling 5/10k tris out would be possible without messing up the quality quite a bit.
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah 20 - 30k is usually fine. Bake looks clean, low poly looks sweet! Can't wait to see it textured :)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah fair enough, there are a couple of things I would clean up but yolo! Looking forward to the texturing!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Are you sure you didn't just post the HP images again? :)
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Dex, I agree there are places it could be reduced but yeah, would rather get it done than sit and remake low poly pieces :)

Ghaz - Ha I promise I didn't, that would have been very cheeky. And to be fair you did think my high poly was the bake initially, you put me under pressure to have a good bake :P