Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Battle of the Titans: War Giant

I'm participating in the Allegorithmic Substance contest: http://www.allegorithmic.com/contest/battle-titans

For my submission I'm creating an armored war giant which is inspired by the ones found in a game called Drakan: Order of the Flame (1999), which is an old favorite of mine.

I thought it would be cool to create a huge lumbering armored giant with a head strongly derived from rhinoceros, that destroys its enemies with a massive crude iron-spiked battle club that uproots trees with each swing (or something along those lines), which I'll probably save until the end.

I'm just sketching with dynamesh in Zbrush right now, but I like where the overall proportions and feel of it are going. After I have all of the major and medium forms worked out, I'll save a morph target of the dynamesh sculpt, zremesh to give the whole thing even quads, subdivide once or twice, and then shrink wrap it back to the details of the morph target and proceed with minor/fine details. The plate armor will come later after I finish sculpting the body... now to work out the eyes/eyelids...

tDBZHuv.png
jM73axx.png

I'll keep posting throughout the development, taking feedback and direction along the way.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Any concept or sketch ?
    It's hard to comment anything and to be fair to you this is very early WIP.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    the head/body proportions don't scream big at the moment, you should definitely beef the body up and shrink the head + eyes to make him appear huge

also i would suggest that you lower your dynamesh density at the moment, as at this density it will most certainly block you more than let you work freely. Working on details is a waste of time at this stage, concentrate on the big shapes first.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ok, stop. Right now your character is sucking because you haven't taken any of the 3 tenets into account - Gesture, Form, Proportion.

Forms - You need to sculpt at a lower subdivision to block in your primary forms, currently its at too high a subdiv and its looking very lumpy. You really only need subdiv level 1-2 to establish the large shapes.

Proportions - I personally like to go with the 8 head canon over 7 1/2, (as Loomis mentions below, kinda dumpy) Having good proportions will help ground a sculpt in reality and make it believable.

WTKAmmS.jpg

Gesture - You need to study gesture and rhythm as it can add life to a sculpt and give it character, if a sculpt has no rhythm then you might as well stick some ketchup on it as its just a feckin meat tube.

Keep these points in mind and go forth, brave soul!
  • Adrian Pieroni
    Ok, thanks for the pointers. I will lower the dynamesh resolution I'm working with and start to push stronger forms and make it as gestural or rhythmic as I can for an A-pose. I want to be careful though because I'm not just trying to slap a rhino head onto a human body, that would be boring. Here's some of the reference I'm using.

uMiDL0J.png
  • Adrian Pieroni
    I made some adjustments - nothing too major, but I raised his head a bit, beefed up his shoulders/torso area, tweaked silhouette around the top, rounded out and defined the stomach a bit. I haven't done much with the hands/forearms, they're kind of placeholder to establish the length and how many fingers it will have. I think these limb proportions could work...

I know it's not much so far, but overall, do you guys think this idea has potential? I want to keep going with it...

yeXs5KY.png
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey man, good to see you're continuing with it. I would say the best thing you can do right now is some anatomy studies to help improve your understanding, its very hard to create a convincing piece without the proper fundamentals.

If you want to do a character like this it would help to do some concepting as well for costume, weapons, etc. as it gives you an overall idea of the direction you're heading in, I wouldn't recommend winging it in ZB unless you're very advanced.
  • Adrian Pieroni
    I can't argue against that. I thought some more refinement and detailing could have made these rough proportions acceptable, but I agree that I should really develop a better understanding of anatomy and better 2D concept skills in general if I really want to create my own original ideas in 3D. I'm going to take a step back and not do any more 3D for this project until I create a solid concept piece.