Home Technical Talk

The Borderlands workflow?

zombie420
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
zombie420 polycounter lvl 7
I was looking at the borderlands 2 art dump and was noticing that they use a lot of high polys for some of the more detailed models. What did they use the high polys for? Surely I didn't see normal maps, did I? Probably occlusion and maybe cavity?

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 8
    They use normal maps. They wouldn't be able to get that clean of shading on such lowpoly models without them. It also looks like their highpoly detail is the base for their handpainted styled textures.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 9
    They use it to get better shading, and use the hps to make selections and masks easier to create. Looks like there using a lot of AO, cavity, and curveature information that is baked from the highpoly. Also maybe useing the object space normals to mask things.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 9
    Heh, I was about to look up your thread from way back in order to link this dude up. Great source of information and easy on the eyes too ;-)
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks s6 for the link and post, definitely some awesome information in there!
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 6
    This is a professor of mine from DePaul University, extremely good artist, I think you guys would appreciate this

http://methodj.com/borderlands-style-texture-creation/
  • jlmayen
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hello everyone and @S6, great work and breakdown! this is a very late reply but I jumped to this post after looking how to do an outline finishing in Marmoset. Could you guide me a little about this? I don't know if it's a version issue, as I have Marmoset Toolbag 2, and can't find the outline option. Thank you!
  • HeXik_RiVeyy
    What 3d program was usedd to make this, how do you draw on the object  

• Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 13
    What 3d program was usedd to make this, how do you draw on the object  

If you read their post, they says exactly how they do it.