Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Hard Surface Tips

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
I'm having trouble sculpting hard surface objects. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or a solid tutorial to maintain sharp edges yet in certain areas, makes objects feel more organic?

Anything would be appreciated =D

Replies

• iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    TrimDynamic, Polish and variants, and Pinch brushes are the core of sharp edges and hard surfaces for me. I especially like Selwy's Pinch Brush (get that here). Generally, you need to be sure you're not going to a high number of polygons too quickly. Even if you're starting to see polygons, you may not need to go to a higher subdiv yet -- using the pinch brush along the edges and then polishing associated surfaces can often clear that up enough to continue. You want to accomplish as much as possible on lower resolutions. Going too high is what leads to the blobby/goop-like look that characterizes most people's early attempts with digital sculpting.

Beyond that, make sure you're working from big to small. Get the major large aspects of what you're sculpting, then add any large-scale details, and work your way down from there. I try to capture the silhouette first, then start refining to a harder surface look, and only add in any details after that.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    iconoplast wrote: »
    TrimDynamic, Polish and variants, and Pinch brushes are the core of sharp edges and hard surfaces for me. I especially like Selwy's Pinch Brush (get that here). Generally, you need to be sure you're not going to a high number of polygons too quickly. Even if you're starting to see polygons, you may not need to go to a higher subdiv yet -- using the pinch brush along the edges and then polishing associated surfaces can often clear that up enough to continue. You want to accomplish as much as possible on lower resolutions. Going too high is what leads to the blobby/goop-like look that characterizes most people's early attempts with digital sculpting.

Beyond that, make sure you're working from big to small. Get the major large aspects of what you're sculpting, then add any large-scale details, and work your way down from there. I try to capture the silhouette first, then start refining to a harder surface look, and only add in any details after that.

Thanks iconoplast!
  • maximumsproductions
  • Saf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
  • Nakedwooki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakedwooki polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome hard surface sculpting tutorial series:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z69cVQCOdM