Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

For the Lounge - Requesting Critiques

Concept:
HB4YSSM.jpg

My work:
olHVTw7.jpg

I admit; I deviated from the concept a bit.

Replies

• robert.nally
    Offline / Send Message
    robert.nally polycounter lvl 12
    too dark for me personally, I would up your light intensity and global illumination bounces or indirect lighting some. I realize you have a movie on in this scene and so it probably makes sense for it to be a bit darker, but the scene as a whole reminds me of an architectural visualization and the thing that stands out to me about architectural visualizations is that they usually have really nice lighting. So I would really try and push the lighting more and try and get more gradients going along the walls and maybe even a small amount of bloom going as well.
  • Filcomet
    Offline / Send Message
    Filcomet polycounter lvl 11
    Did you bake an ambient occlusion? That can provide more shape to your geometry, also I recommend not to use a solid color as you sky in the final composition. Try to match it with the light.
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Echoing what robert.nally said, the walls definitely some separation from each other. The first impression I get is that it's a bunch of props floating in a space because the walls and ceiling all blend together so much.

A lot of the points of contrast in the reference are lost a little in your version, too. The bright TV, the window and the spot of light it casts on the floor, the lighting directly above and below the TV - without these your scene feels a little flat and loses some focus.

If you push the lighting some more it'll make a big impact on your scene and close a lot of the gap between your version/the concept.
  • Nakedwooki
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakedwooki polycounter lvl 7
    I would suggest adding some skirting along the bottom of your walls, it will help with the transition between the wall and floor and it is very common in buildings.
  • D. Warren
    Thank you all for your critiques and suggestions. I've taken the majority of them to heart and I'm re-rendering the scene now. Update will come soon.
  • D. Warren
    Update:

S7fbLjZ.jpg

I raised the intensity of the lights and created more highlights along the wall.