Home Dota 2

Marmoset problem

Guys I had some probs with marmoset my lion is too dark and my hair is too orange, I changed the "use RGB" part to make it. but both options are not good. Any suggestions??
1zdowhc.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi -

If you import the VMT directly using the little icon at the top right of the material list (and provided that Valve didn't do funky things in it, like, forgetting to put some values) you shouldn't have to tweak anything. Do you have the VMT for Lion ? If not let me know and I'll extract it for you.

It works perfectly for some heroes, with even the textures loading up automatically, while others have issue because of the way Valve set them up, not respecting their own conventions :)
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for reply, Pior.
    Unfortunatly I dont have the VMT and it would be so cool if you extract it for me,
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a problem :) This is what I am getting when importing the Lion body VMT in Marmoset. I still had to dial down the specular for it to look like that tho, as Lion seems to be one of the whacky heroes with a strangely high specular value of 20 in its material definition file. (so ultimately, I think that the game client is the only safe place where to test items made for him)

MarmosetToolbag204ES_Bloodseeker_004tbscene_2014-05-17_18-37-41_zpscb85d9bb.png~original

As for the material files, here they are (temporary link) :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3tXoYtBEtrTZDdidU5EQ2ZSVmc/edit?usp=sharing

I put all the ones I found in there but you'll notice that there are some leftover/duplicates. However the "good" ones should load fine, along with their proper textures if you put the VMTs and the TGAs all in the same folder before importing.

Also, for those interested, VMTs can be extracted quite easily using GCFscape. They are located in the dota pak01_dir.vpk, next to the textures of each model.

I hope this helps ! (and I can't wait to see that hipster hairstyle in game !)
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thx a lot, I owe you,
    I will post some more renders. Because I still have problem with hair, it is too dark orange or too light orange I will post a pic for you to compare.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to get some renders, but ofcourse problems appeared.
    I managed to get the body and cape working (THX TO PİOR) but they might be a little too lighten. My major problem is the place the hair's UV map. the place where th UV changes is a fail take a look and pls help. And the other problem is hair must go light orange to dark orange but in here it is only orange. How can ı fix it?
    SqtTmTl.jpg
    But in second render, I wanted to show you how they are lighten up is it too much?, or what I can do to make it better and I used this perspective because from this view the problem on the first render doesnt seen. Anyways pls feedback about anything good or bad.
    hJ8YpkZ.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    A quote from another post about the same problem:
    belkun wrote: »
    Try to select the mesh on the scene outliner thingy on the left, click on the arrows on the right of Tangent Space and change it. Whenever I get weird normals like that even though the map is fine, changing around the mesh Tangent Space usually fix it.

Here's a picture:

CQIhDBm.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the Dota normalmap specifications are very ... specific (!), which is why the only way to generate exactly like Source wants them is to use Handplane which has been fine-tuned to do exactly that. I don't think that the Marmoset guys ever claimed that Toolbag was accurate to Source in that regard, so, the artifact you are seeing might not even show up in the game at all in the end (if the normalmap has been generated by Handplane, that is.)

Besides that there is no good reason to have a UV seem there anyways ... It might just be a good time to re-UV and rebake to avoid the problem altogether.

I am not sure to understand the problem about the orange color. Are you saying that it doesn't look like your diffuse map (aka local color) ? If so, this could very well be because of your specular/gloss/metalness for that particular area.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belkun: I did that already seemed like nothing changed.
    Pior: I thought about changing UV but people sid it wont go ingame so I think I wont change it. And it looks normal ingame so it is not a big problem, anyways really appreciated your helps.