Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo 4 BR

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Mrfido polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys I just finished my Halo 4 BR that I was working on. This was really the first time I worked with a normal map so there was a lot of problems with that. I used 3DS max for the High and low poly model and used xNormal for the normal map. Then textured it in Photoshop. So let me know what you guys thanks!.

EtCiJnd.jpg

Low Poly

cVUnNq1.png

X2DfIte.png

Vc0ztIg.jpg

b3XHgr7.jpg
pQr9YVn.jpg

TJOa4Ue.png

High Poly

hY3CaPE.png

d0oPs6i.png

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What are you using the display the textured model, a game engine, viewport shader, model viewer, render? The modeling and bake look solid, but the textures and presentation really bring it down.
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    What are you using the display the textured model, a game engine, viewport shader, model viewer, render? The modeling and bake look solid, but the textures and presentation really bring it down.

I was rendering them in 3ds max. Also the bottom 2 pics are the high poly models
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You should never use a non-realtime rendering method to display game art. Try a viewport shader like 3 point shader for 3ds Max, or a model viewer like Marmoset Toolbag, or an actual game engine like UDK, UE4, Cryengine or Unity.
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    You should never use a non-realtime rendering method to display game art. Try a viewport shader like 3 point shader for 3ds Max, or a model viewer like Marmoset Toolbag, or an actual game engine like UDK, UE4, Cryengine or Unity.

Ok I will get those renders out!
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message

Is sketchfab ok?? https://sketchfab.com/models/26846a3820a848e6b93acf5907d332be
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Is it supposed to be that shiny/reflective ?
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    SketchFab is OK and you can actually embed it using these tags like this:
    [SKETCHFAB*]26846a3820a848e6b93acf5907d332be[/SKETCHFAB]

Remove the *

But ideally I'd suggest getting Marmoset. You'll be able to adjust lots of parameters. Also, it has physically-based rendering which is becoming a standard for new games. Last but not least, never use pure black or pure white as a background. It makes it difficult to read your model at some areas.

This might not be as important but the gun's pivot seems to be off in Sketchfab. It would be better if rotated around it's volume center and not side of it.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Edges are too tight for a good bake. It looks like you only have a 'diffuse,' no specular or gloss for your hardsurface model?
  • EarthQuake
    Aside from presentation, the biggest issue here is the materials.

None of your materials read as a specific surface. Everything has a generic, concrete looking overlay texture on it, with generic bright white "edging". I can't pick out painted metal, plastic, rubber, or metals here.

I would start fresh, research the materials properties for every element, and how to represent those materials with the correct diffuse, specular, and gloss values. A clear example here is your edging/scratches, if the purpose to to have the base paint layer scratched and reveal the underlying metal, the scratches should be very dark in diffuse (metals do not really have diffuse lighting, only reflection), bright in the specular and fairly bright in the gloss as well.

The modeling work is not bad, but as mentioned above the edges are too tight to really bake well in a lot of spots.
  • dpadam450
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 12
    I would take your whole texture and drag the contrast way down and then add a tiny bit of environement reflection on it.
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys all this information is really really good.
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have updated my Behance page a little and also fixed the SketchFab

https://www.behance.net/gallery/16835335/Halo-4-Battle-Rifle

[SKETCHFAB]26846a3820a848e6b93acf5907d332be[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Kyuzo
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    hey, you have a nice high poly, but your texture need more than 1-2 hours of work, take your time, and do it better.

For now overall texture looks too muddy and blurry, try to sharpen it, or even individually sharpen layers with details.
    Lots of your details look like they are painted, not made naturally by using weapon, but just put there by your wish, visible scratches are terrible, they look as if you took square brush with scatter and made few random strokes.

On your texture i noticed some details, that can make a good look for your model, but... you made a presentation, where we can barely see the specular, for now it is a flat diffuse+normal. Put it in marmoset toolbag, if you dont have it, put it in UDK, in unity, make it for yourself to love how good it looks.

Texture work is a long way, and it need time, so dont be lazy, fix the textures(create Glossiness map aswell).

also take a look, if didn't already, for racer445 tutorials:
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnh01WJOK8o[/ame]
    http://cgi.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures--cg-1765