Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback requested for character wip

This is a character design I am currently working on. I have been focusing on learning subsurface scattering for the skin. Also, this is my first attempt at transferring normal maps from Z-brush to a lower poly mesh in Maya. Any feedback you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Embed your images would be a start. Can't honestly see much of an SSS effect, your environment is a bit boring and distracting, try making a photo backdrop from a nurbs curve and do something about the shadows. Normals seem to work OK but really need some detail on the albedo to enhance it. Tentacles need posing and some different material definition would be wise on his suit.
  • charlie.thor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like him, cool little character. Your displacments are working well. I can't see much SSS going on at all though.
    When working with SSS it is important to work to some sort of rough scale (not sure if I am telling you what you already know) make sure your character is scaled up way bigger than the grid so that the depth and level of the SSS will be right. Then I always take my colour map and blur is and saturate it and use that as the epidermal map. Always works out nice.
    Would be cool to add some veins and stuff like that to that epidermal map too.
    Not sure if I helped at all but there you go
  • rashuck213
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please forgive my formatting faux pas, I am somewhat new to these proceedings. I will be sure to embed them from now on. (as soon as i figure out how to do that, he typed under his breath) The character has yet to be rigged, one of my friends will taking care of that. As soon as that is done I will post a more finalized version. I am grateful for any and all advice you are all willing to give. I am currently studying tutorials and youtube vids to find out how to get my SSS working properly. Thanks again for everything you have offered.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Upload your work to imgur, it's how most of us do it. And then just press the little 'image' icon above the reply window :)