Home Technical Talk

Edge weight/crease edge > support loops

Hi, guys! There is so much clever people here, so I hope I'll get the answer.
And I'm really grateful to you all for the knowledge and tips that you share here :)
I wonder, is there any way to convert edge weight/crease edges to support loops (in any software), without subdivining and collapsing it to final highpoly mesh, so I could get a nice and clean mesh with holding loops and just smooth it to get a highpoly model?

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Let me understand, you want something that converts creases/edge weights into proper support loops right?

In 3DS max I know of the TurboSmooth Pro plug-in which does essentially what you want. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will automatically take previous crease/weight assignments.

Find that here:
    http://mariussilaghi.com/products/turbosmooth-pro
  • vmrnv
    Vertrucio, thanks for the answer!
    But I can't find there, how this plug-in can convert weight to non-collapsed mesh with support loops, like if I did highpoly manually, in it traditional way.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    actualy his plugin qadchamfer (integraed in max 2015) does this quite well, to some extend, some areas will need little cleaning later on
  • vmrnv
    That's not exactly what I was asking about, but thanks, this is very useful plugin.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    hu? it creates support loops out of edgeweight, pretty much what you asked for. can you show an example of what you have and what you would like to see?
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    I purchased the quad chamfer modifier a while ago. It has some quirks.

It doesn't read the crease value directly, instead it looks to see if there is any crease value at all, at which it will look for the edge weight to determine the amount of chamfering.

I think vmrnv has a model where he's already set all the crease values, not edge weights, to what he needs, and wants a script or plug in that will automatically turn crease levels into support loops.

Sadly, no such solution exists that I know of. Although I'm not the best to ask since I'm not sure what the original use of edge weight and crease are. Were they just for meshsmooth and turbosmooth separately?