Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flood museum environment project [CryEngine]

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
NOlhovskis polycounter lvl 4
For the past couple of months I have been working on an environment project in CryEngine. It is inspired by the fact that due to the global warming a lot of coastal cities will be submerged in 50-80 years. I would imagine there will be an attempt to save some of the historical buildings. I've seen proposals for dam system construction in Venice and parts of Netherlands, so there's that.
This project consists of two main areas - old district, surrounded by the dam, and a futuristic entrance area. Old buildings were mainly inspired by late XIX, early XX century jugendstil buildings in Riga, while the futuristic area has influences from many modern architects, mainly Zaha Hadid.
Old buildings and streets consist of interchangeable modular parts, allowing to build them in any shape or size you might want. Futuristic bit is deliberately more unique.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

15.jpg

13.jpg

Also, here's a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SICRRpd8GMM

Any kind of critique or advice is welcome. I think I've learned a lot from making this, but I'm sure there's stuff that I've missed.

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    T5sCFId.png

I would say you would need to make your textures less clean
    It sort of feels like Bioshock infinite but maybe that's just me
    Keep on going!
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disgusting man really nice so far keep up the work and I'm looking forward to seeing the updates.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    there seems to be a rather big issue with the color palette. There is too much mixed and many things just dont fit.
    Maybe you can save it by using a good LUT, limiting the range and the colors, but right now its pretty problematic imo

Its kinda hard to tell what is the problem, but I would start with cutting out the yellow probably and go for a more red-green contrast
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Great project!

I agree with Shrike on the color palette, also all your materials seem to have the same properties and come across as very flat. There's no gradients, no separation in anything. Wood looks like stucco looks like concrete looks like brick etc.
    I see that a lot of it is in shadows but some light should still bounce around and make those surfaces pop.

Also, is it still possible to add some height variation to your buildings?
    They all seem to have the same height and it kinda reminds me of Traverse Town from Kingdom Hearts.

Keep at it, it'll turn out great :)
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Hum, if you take the first picture, the cool white structure would look better with a glossy plastic finish.
  • NOlhovskis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NOlhovskis polycounter lvl 4
    I see, thanks you for the critique, it's very spot on. I definitely need to work on the material definition as it indeed seems to be a huge problem of mine.