Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Victorian Street Fighter

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IntelligentDesign polycounter lvl 5
So I'm in college studying Digital Media Design (basically a combo of computer science and fine art), and this is a model I put together for a 3D figure modeling course. My main goal was to see how detailed I could make the model while keeping the poly count below 7k, and this is the first time I've done custom textures and UV mapping. I'd love feedback on this, good or bad!

victorian_street_fighter_by_itsintelligentdesign-d7heonc.png

[SKETCHFAB]9b759147188640d293d6daa461d8f11d[/SKETCHFAB]

(If anyone knows why the colors are so washed out in the Sketchfab model please let me know, as it looks fine in Skyshop and Maya)

(EDIT: figured it out. For some reason Sketchfab wasn't reading my Gloss map properly)

Replies

• IntelligentDesign
    Offline / Send Message
    Just bumping this. Would really love some feedback!
  • DWalker
    Monocles are a very bad idea for boxers.

You could make the mustache more flamboyant, waxing the tips to get them to stick out.

The pants would be up above his navel, and held up with a cloth sash; suspenders are another bad idea for a boxer - they're far too likely to slip off and constrain his arms.
    FrankPaddySlavin2.jpg

Personally, I see a street fighter as more of a bare-knuckles fighter than one using those new-fangled gloves, but if you are going to use gloves then they should be the cruder designs of the period, with a more distinct thumb:
    $_57.JPG
  • mjeruzal
    Offline / Send Message
    mjeruzal polycounter lvl 5
    Please, lower the specular. Everything shines like a dog's balls :P Suspenders should be tensioned but curved paths on the back suggest that they are loose. Pants needs some refine too - adding some details will help, now they look too vague and indistinct. I like the design, but as was mentioned above some parts doesn't work with the fighters, you should consider to redesign it a little. Sorry if I was too harsh - didn't mean to be like that. Good luck ;)
  • silvershrimp
    Silhouette is a bit weak and tubey on the waist. Main thing I can see is the diffuse for the skin is too pale. Other point about Spec is very fair as well. I don't really have an issue with your character design, but it looks very low poly considering its 7k, try and get some creases modeled into those pants if you can. I'd probably have more to say if your renders showed a sculpt and some close ups. Nice idea anyway, keep improving it.
  • IntelligentDesign
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker: thanks for the advice, I was considering making the 'stache more prominent. As for the gloves, I was drawing inspiration from the Street Fighter character Dudley so that's why I went with the more modern design, but the suspenders are definitely not the smartest idea for a boxer

Mjeruzal: no, thank you. My classmates were a bit overly supportive, it's nice to get some tough criticism to really help me improve my work.