Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sun Queen - Progress Thread

Hi Poly! It's been some time since my last post, so I'll try to fix that :p

I'm planning to do a portfolio illustration of one of my OCs, there's no deadline so I want to improve it the best I can. I'll need your feedback, guys, last time I got it I improved a lot! (:

Here are the final three thumbnails I selected:

mauveportstdy_zpsaccc7640.jpg

My idea is to make her looking at the viewer but with the body in side view, with a huge sun light from behind. I want to make her hair and clothes with an effect like this one:

tumblr_manvaugFqF1qf6hxto1_500_zpsfbf7939b.jpg

The overall color scheme will be teal (maybe with some golden jewelry) as that's the usual color my character wears (:

I love the third thumbnail, it was the initial idea on my mind but I explored first the other options. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Replies

• iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    The other thumbnails have some potential, but I agree that the third is the way to go. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop!
  • Mnemosyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with a base sketch with the values to follow it while painting.

Are there any anatomy mistakes? I think the face is still awkward, mainly the eyes and lips. Lips don't seem a problem to me, usually they start like that on lineart but I fix them while rendering. But those eyes... I have problems doing his right eye and the left one still doesn't convince me. Any tips on how could I improve that?

I have the sensation that face features are too small for her face, am I right?

Also, are the values correct?

SunQueen4_zpsbf25e92d.jpg
  • Mnemosyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, changed the face and I'm a lot happier with it (: I'm really terrible at portraits, this is right out of my comfort zone xD

SunQueen5in_zpsfb1369c0.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice sketch, and a good beginning on values. I'd probably put a couple of hours in and get it to a more finished state. Right now the base is there, but it's not a lot to go on.
  • Mnemosyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera wrote: »
    Nice sketch, and a good beginning on values. I'd probably put a couple of hours in and get it to a more finished state. Right now the base is there, but it's not a lot to go on.

Of course, I'm still working on it :p Since I don't have a deadline I'll spend all the hours it needs to match the image in my head. So far I got her face quite right as I imagined my character (:

Tomorrow I'll make the base hair and will start with the body. I'm making tons of changes for almost every single feature, so that's slowing it, but I'm proud of how it started and I have a very good feeling with it.

It's a very relaxing piece between some client work (:
  • Mnemosyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started the hair, so far I'm happy with the overall texture of it, but the bun and bottom part is turning out a bit awkward. I'll try to fix or redo it. Any tips on painting hair like this, guys? I'm having some reference photos next to it, but I don't want to paint too photo-realistic, I'm trying to achieve a more painterly semi-realism style.

I'm leaving all the rim light for the end since it seems to be hard for me going zone by zone now. It's going slowly but I want it to be really good this time *_*

Also, made the canvas wider, but I'm not really sure if it works for the composition :S

SunQueen7_zps9522e6e9.jpg