Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Goku sculpt

Hi everyone at polycount!

I'd just like to say that this is my first real post here, but have lurked for a while. You guys are all truly amazing artists and if any of you kind people could impart some of your experience on me, that would be amazing.

So this is a WIP sculpt of Goku that I'm making for my portfolio. I chose him because I'm currently living working in the Japanese game industry modelling Gundam robots, but want to get into character modelling.

Goku seems like a good anime subject to try and model because of the muscle definition he has and the popularity of Dragon Ball in Japanese culture. This is also my first time really using ZBrush, I've used it a few times in the past but never really sat down and modelled something from scratch. I'm aiming to change that.

As you can see from the image below, I've sculpted the clothes as part of the body, and am now thinking about how to create definition between his body and the clothes.
One way would be to separate the pants, the t-shirt / gi, the arms, etc into different models / tools, whatever. After that, model an actual body, put the clothes over that and do it like that, right?

Are there other, easier ways to define in the model what is the body, where the clothes are, etc with hard lines? Also what tool would you use to create arm holes in t-shirts or at least, the appearance of holes, etc?

At the moment you can tell he's wearing clothes but there are a lot of soft edges going from skin to clothes that means it looses that definition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

XkXPfR1.jpg

and here is what i'm working from

GiHoHWx.jpg

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The proper way to do this would be to sculpt the naked body first. Get the anatomy perfect and them sculpt the clothes on top. It doesn't work well to do the clothes first, esp if you don't have experience doing anatomy or cloth. You sculpting seems decent for someone who has very little experience. You just need to work on the underlying anatomy first. Your anatomy is quite off as is. Although goku is an anime character, make sure the anatomy is based off of real photo ref to get it accurate. Good luck!
  • Rekka
    Hi Slosh!

Thank you for the feedback! At work, I'm very used to working from illustrations of robots or characters, and being forced to make them look exactly like the illustration, and not use real photo reference (I tried once, the company i work for didnt like it).

Also I was never confident in my ability to do it until now. To do sculpting from real life reference, but now I've done it once with this model (whether its good or not), I found it was fun, and kind of relaxing in a weird kind of way, so I definitely want to continue down the line of sculpting, learning anatomy and getting better at real life subjects.

Given my experience with Japanese companies wanting me to make it as close to the illustration as possible, (i realise my model isnt perfect in that regard either), do you have any feedback in relation to that?