Home Technical Talk

ZBrush and dynamesh

Hi,

I have some issues with the dynamesh in ZBrush.

No matter how much I work on something, having 500k points or 3.000k points dynamesh always bring it to 118k points and removes all details in the process.

Dynamesh resolution is set to the max 2048... :/

For a good model, a dynamesh of 50 or 100, is enough to keep most of the details so why does my model need so much resolution and doesn't even keep the details?

O_o

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Dynamesh resolution is dependent on the scale of an object. ZBrush's cube/plane primitives are 2 meters by 2 meters and provides a decent dynamesh at the default resolution. If you model is much larger than that, your dynamesh will be much denser; much smaller, and you will have to hike up the resolution to get a decent wireframe.

The solution to a higher dynamesh resolution will ultimately be to scale your model up considerably.
  • Valcryst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I created a reference box in max. (96 units to match a udk normal character)
    And created a human model inside "that" box.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, I don't really use UDK. If i'm not mistaken, UDK doesn't care if it's 96 centimeters or 96 meters, but ZBrush takes the base unit of measurement into consideration. Try switching the units to something larger. I'm also not sure how ZBrush interprets "generic units."
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think you are using the wrong tool. Dynamesh is not meant to be used after you detail out a model, it is meant to be used early on in the process so you get even geometry everywhere so it is easy to sculpt. What are you trying to achieve here?
  • Valcryst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well in class, our teacher made a character for an upcoming game and he showed us after he added the details, he used dynamesh to lower the points while keeping almost all the details so he could optimize with decimation master to export the model in 3dcoat for rotopology.

His full body model without clothes was like 6.000k points and after a dynamesh resolution of 50, he got his model lowered in geometry (+/- 600k points) but his model kept most of the details. The very small ones changed a bit or disapeared but the model was roughly the same.

In my case, even the details you see while not zooming in are altered with dynamesh... and my resolution is 2048 not 50. If I use 50 of resolution, I get a block of nothing.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think decimation master is what you want, not dynamesh.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Valcryst wrote: »
    If I use 50 of resolution, I get a block of nothing.

Like Bartalon said, you need you change your scale. Dynamesh depends entirely on it, and Zbrush isn't based around UDK's unit size (other tools can also be negatively affected by scale as well). You can use the Tool: Preview window to see if your model is too large or small (ideally it fits perfectly in the window).
  • Valcryst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But I need to dynamesh the whole thing, I made the clothes in different meshes.
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    BARDLER is right. you need to use decimation master, not dynamesh.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Alternatively, use the Deformation panel to resize your model up by 100 a few times, dynamesh, and resize back down by -100 the same amount if you want extra detail.
  • Valcryst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio wrote: »
    Alternatively, use the Deformation panel to resize your model up by 100 a few times, dynamesh, and resize back down by -100 the same amount if you want extra detail.

Wiil try that thx :)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I don't understand why you're trying to jump through all these hoops to get an low enough model for retopology. Either drop the subdivision levels a bit or use decimation master to lower each subtool's polycount. Then merge them into a single mesh and export that for retopology.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Valcryst wrote: »
    Well in class, our teacher made a character for an upcoming game and he showed us after he added the details, he used dynamesh to lower the points while keeping almost all the details so he could optimize with decimation master to export the model in 3dcoat for rotopology.

Hmm I don't see any reason why he's doing that..

Just use Decimation master as others have said. That in-between step is completely un-necessary and will remove detail from your model.

Dynamesh (at least how I use it) is more for when you are making huge changes to the topology in zbrush. For example, cutting deep panels into the mesh with slice curve, clip curve to trim edges, pulling out a arm/fingers on a character, etc.

Looking at your image above, why not just use the decimated mesh for baking to low poly? The only thing you may want to do after you decimate is weld the verts (in the geometry panel) and check mesh integrity.

Good luck.