Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steam Engine Train W.I.P

Here is my steam engine that i am working on currently. I am still playing around with texture colours, and trying to get the dirt/rust amounts correct.
I also attached one of my main pieces of reference.

Replies

• BMarshall
    Do you guys think that it is worth it to add polygons for the bolts all over the train or should i just use normal maps for them?
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    What are your plans for this piece? Do you have a polygon budget you are trying to work with?

Personally I would add a little more geometry to the main tube shape and wheels first.

As for your question, I think you should do the smaller rivets on the sides etc. with just a normal map. I would add some geometry for the larger rivets and bolts on the front of the train though.

If something contributes to the silhouette add geometry. If it doesn't really contribute to the overall silhouette, just let a normal map take care of it. Sometimes it's just a judgement call.

Hope this helps!
  • BMarshall
    @Tobbo I have most of the modelling done for a train station that will be beside the locomotive, and as for budget it is game res. As for the overall geometry, ill will try adding some more poly's to the body and the wheels. What you said about the silhouette definitely makes sense, ill try modelling the ones on the front part and using normal maps the sides rivets. Thanks a lot!