Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FFX X-2 Brotherhood Sword

ScottHoneycutt
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
01-6.jpg
02-8.jpg

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131226213434/finalfantasy/images/9/9c/Tidus_receiving_Brotherhood.jpg
http://www.my-bestgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/final-fantasy-x-tidus-swordfinal-fantasy-10-tidus-brotherhood-sword-zczt1hvv.jpg
http://shatterheart.net/games/dissidia2/artwork/dissidia-tidus-render-brotherhood-sword.jpg

Next up I'm doing the Brotherhood sword from Final Fantasy X and X-2. I did a quick 1 and 1/2 hour model in 3ds Max 2014, then took it into Mudbox 2015. As I sculpt it seems I'm simply making it worse. I'm guessing I should simply go back into 3ds Max and make a simpler mesh, getting the sharp blade area tight first and the handle fixed up before sculpting. I'm also thinking of going with more of the Dissidia model as it has more of a thick blade look. In real life that thin "fin" at the tip of the blade would break off anyway.

My biggest question is about workflow for this type of piece (namely sculpting). Should I limit the amount sculpting to the finer details? It seems that Mudbox can't really "add" mass to a mesh but simply add fine details ... is that accurate? I ask because I was trying to add more mass to the edgy "fin" on the tip and it just made it worse because of how I modeled it originally. Is there a work around for this or am I right to simply start over when this happens?

Thanks

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    When it comes to most weapons and armors, I usually make the whole thing in Max or Maya. ZBrush is only for fine details at the end. That's just me though.
  • J_Kirkwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J_Kirkwood polycounter lvl 4
    I wouldn't say start over, but sometimes starting over lets you learn more and approach it again with a different from a different angle( at least for me ). For starters I'd have the hilt and the blade itself as two separate pieces instead of having them together at least until you get to sculpting it.

In terms of a sculpting workflow, I'd say make a block out in maya/3dsmax and import into a sculpting package of your choice. From there I'd say using your grab brush and just matching the silhouette to the ref as best you can and save the finer details for the end. You want to work more so on the form first then going forward with the details. I'd say the ideal tools to start off with would be your grab tool pushing and pulling and using your sculpt to build up forms. I think ctrl + a tool inverts the function so like instead of adding sculpt tool would subtract so you could use that to add the lines and things. Hope this helps I haven't touched mudbox much since learning zbrush.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    03-8.jpg

Thanks. Update in progress:

Redid the blade and handle in 3ds Max (After spending 21 days on the high-poly model for a gun, I really don't mind redoing a one-sitting job). I admittedly was not sure about using Mudbox here but I'm going to at least try it. I don't have much sculpting in my gallery and I really prefer the ease of the workflow without having to worry about edge-flow.

A few more questions. Is it safe to say that Mudbox doesn't have the versatility of Z-Brush? I've seen a lot of tutorials with Z-Brush but not Mudbox. It seems like you cannot make holes in the mesh, you cannot add geometry, and I cannot seem to get symmetry to work with the grab tool.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Mudbox isn't really that great compared to Zbrush to be honest. Lacks most tools. The interface is really user friendly though!
  • happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    03-8.jpg

Thanks. Update in progress:

Redid the blade and handle in 3ds Max (After spending 21 days on the high-poly model for a gun, I really don't mind redoing a one-sitting job). I admittedly was not sure about using Mudbox here but I'm going to at least try it. I don't have much sculpting in my gallery and I really prefer the ease of the workflow without having to worry about edge-flow.

A few more questions. Is it safe to say that Mudbox doesn't have the versatility of Z-Brush? I've seen a lot of tutorials with Z-Brush but not Mudbox. It seems like you cannot make holes in the mesh, you cannot add geometry, and I cannot seem to get symmetry to work with the grab tool.

i'm a fan of ffx and i can't wait to see your final result :)

personally i would have hard modeled the entire thing inside 3dsmax especially for the hilt, then port into zbrush to do embossing for the handles, scratches etc.

i think the end of the sword is a little off, it's more like a subtle flow at the part it curves in, u might want to check ur refs.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    happybell wrote: »
    i'm a fan of ffx and i can't wait to see your final result :)

personally i would have hard modeled the entire thing inside 3dsmax especially for the hilt, then port into zbrush to do embossing for the handles, scratches etc.

i think the end of the sword is a little off, it's more like a subtle flow at the part it curves in, u might want to check ur refs.

Thanks. What I've seen from my refs is that the sword has essentially taken on a life of its own. I decided essentially to make my own version. The Dissidia version has a much more harder edge to the end of it and I went with that. Thanks for the workflow input, I am still new to sculpting overall.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    04-8.jpg

Here's an update. I ended up bringing it into 3ds Max and poly modeling around it. The main issue I need to solve now is how to deal with the three "finger"-like stems and how they go into the eye area. I'm not sure about the bottom area of the hilt either but I'll figure it out. Just an update.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    preview.png

06-2.jpg

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131217130213/finalfantasy/images/a/ac/Brotherhood_LRXIII.jpg

Update. I need to make the cloth part and I'm not sure how. I'm thinking a cloth sim (I'm in 3ds Max) but I've never done anything cloth-like for a game before. I realize I need to make something to bake down and that isn't just a render but something animate-able. Any thoughts? I also considered Mudbox sculpting it.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    07-2.png

Here's what I came up with. Now I'm thinking, "Am I simply supposed to paint a texture here with an alpha channel for this (like grass)? Is there even a normal needed here at all?" Admittedly I am very unaware of the protocol here. In the mean time I'm going to make the low poly models and keep thinking about this. I did a quick couple of searches and only found talk about character clothes. I'm not seeing a lot of sculpting. Any thoughts (or links)?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    08-1.jpg
    09-1.jpg

Finally, I actually have a creative update. For once the normal map process wasn't a long drawn out disaster for me. Here are four color schemes I'm thinking of. I'm still open to the original colors if I hear complaints to just stick with those, but I'm liking the greenish water scheme with black idea. I may actually go forward with both the red eye with green blade and the pink eye with blue blade ideas as those are my favorites so far. Any thoughts? This is in UDK with normal map, no spec.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10-1.jpg

Some mudbox painting. I'm leaning with B on the water details.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    11-1.jpg

I'm going with this for UDK lighting and background setup (finally figured out using the diffuse color in the emissive channel to get the sphere to light up in the background). I feel this color makes it pop well against both the blue-green and red. Also I'm looking into how to get the cloth plane to show up on both sides. The issue is in the mesh without any textures applied. Should I just go back into 3ds Max, duplicate the cloth, flip it and re-export? Or is there a tri-saving way?

Any final thoughts?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrthographicRenders.jpg

http://scott31.cgsociety.org/art/3ds-max-mudbox-udk-meshlab-photoshop-brotherhood-sword-fantasy-3d-1186702

Here's the finished link if you are interested. I did find out there is a "double sided" check box in UDK's material editor for the plane issue. Also the light gray is easier to look at in the background.

Thanks all around.:\
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNnqspZ.png

In February I received critique on my portfolio which made me make an entire new one. I did that. Then I received critique on the new gallery which has led me to now re-make everything in the new folio, rather than make 2 entire galleries in the same year. So ... I'm asking you to help me become a better artist! What could I do with this sword? Should I scrap it? Remake it? What should I remake? What needs the most work? My feelings at this point would be to redo the cloth, the handle and paint/render in Substance Painter. I would need to decided on materials for everything which was an issue last time around. What even IS this blade made out of ... magic!? I'm guessing colored metal of some sort that exists in Spira. Maybe the top hilt is the same stuff that other black Japanese hilts are made of ... which I don't know either. My thinking is that if I put this much work into it, I should stick with it and make it better rather than scrap it. Then again, I would like your opinion :poly009:
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uH0UfXR.jpg

Here's a quick few minute throw-together experiment in Substance Painter. Is this a better direction or worse? Any thoughts?