Home Technical Talk

Newb Question - Converting to Polygons

Good Day Polycounters!

In my extremely limited experience with 3D Art, and Maya in general, I've pretty much only worked with polygons thus far. Recently though, I've found that when working with things such as door handles, molding, piping, etc. that it's much easier to create the wanted shape in NURBS rather than polygons.

So, my question stems from a game engine perspective. Is there any drawback/disadvantage/things to look out for when converting NURBS to polygons? Is this a suggested method for meshes that are planning on being imported into a game engine? My workflow, that I found to work, was converting NURBS to SubDs and then into polygons. In doing this, I found that there was some added stitching to the polygon model but this stitching was easily removed without affecting the shape of the polygon.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Don't use nurbs. The tools for it are weak, it's slower than working with subdiv models. Having to clean up models after converting nurbs to subdivs is just an extra step and a time waster.
  • Elynole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Don't use nurbs. The tools for it are weak, it's slower than working with subdiv models. Having to clean up models after converting nurbs to subdivs is just an extra step and a time waster.

Thank you for the insight! I actually just finished watching a tutorial from DT over SubD surfaces and the tools seem to be much better. Is it common practice for the finer points of game models to be transformed in SubD's then converted to polygons before export?
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Elynole wrote: »
    Thank you for the insight! I actually just finished watching a tutorial from DT over SubD surfaces and the tools seem to be much better. Is it common practice for the finer points of game models to be transformed in SubD's then converted to polygons before export?

No. Typically we work with Polygon with smoothing preview "3" I think... it has been a while since I used maya.