Home Unity

What is an ideal character mesh setup for a game?

Ok,

I've searched for info on this topic but haven't been able to find anything, unless i'm missing something.

So i'm working on some content for a game idea i have. This is the first time i will model anything meant to be used for a game so i need some advice.

Regarding character mesh,

I have several meshes for one chatracter: Body, shirt, shorts, wristbands, leaggings, and boots. optional hairstyles and other stuff to be included later.

I'm planning on making all parts customizable by players. So i wasn't sure if i should rig all these components as one mesh or keep them separate, and should the UV maps be separate as well or should they all be merged on a single map?

I'm doing as much research as possible so i don't find myself going back and fixing things. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Separate meshes on the same rig would be fine - that way you can do something as simple as script on and off the individual mesh renderers in Unity, to control when you want to see the optional parts later.

Having them all on one UV map might be more down to personal preference - can you fit all the parts on one sheet all at once and maintain the visual quality you want, even when some of those parts will be invisible for most of the game? Or is it better for you to dedicate one whole map for the body, as it's visible for the whole game, and then have the hat/wristbands/smaller items on a smaller map that is only loaded in if and when those items are actually used in-game?

I'd probably err on the latter, but it depends how many individual parts you might want loaded at once...
  • Silva_Bullet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Stabbington,

I am considering one map for the entire uniform (shirt, shorts, leggings, and wristbands), another for the body, and separate maps for hair-styles and other accessories.

Very helpful and reassuring. It's nice to know I've been heading in the right direction.

Many thanks =)