Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Newbie question a about modelling technique

Hi, I would say im still fairly a beginner to 3D modelling and I have a few questions about your methods. I've been modelling a spaceship just for some practice to get better and one thing ive noticed is its allot easier to model some parts separately for instance cannons etc. Ive been modelling a minigun that sits under the nose of the ship which is in several parts and seems easier this way to change parts around if I want to modify something instead of tinkering with one single mesh.

Ive seen some speed modelling vids of people making things like Mechs where they have tonnes of different parts and was wondering is there any set way of doing this or any "correct" way and what method do you use? Thanks :)

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    In my opinion. When you're modeling something mechanical, that could be animated, it's not a bad idea to to build separate pieces of things that are separate pieces. Now, when it comes to high-poly models, If it's a separate piece it's much easier to model as a separate piece.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Things that need to be animated should be separate meshes. Its good practice to try to combine your mesh as much as possible though. It will work better for your bake as you'll have no sharp edges that you'll get with Intersecting geometry. All The best models I've seen try to use floating geometry only for things that need to animate separately. Hope this help