Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starship for Indie Feature - Lantz Crusier

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
Hello Polycount!

In 2010, my crew and I met through a friend looking for help on an indie film, and my then girlfriend encouraged me to go out and do it. We shot a feature length movie on a green screen in Thomas's dad's living room, then eventually banded together into a far more robust group called Radian-Helix Media.

Four years later and after a hundred other jobs, (some professional, most indie,) the original project that started our company is coming together at last. NEM gate is almost done.

My primary focus is environment art for video games, so I'm very used to doing lowpoly objects and baking very efficient textures. I was commissioned to make a few things for distant objects, like this Lantz Heavy Cruiser. I took Josh Meehan's art and turned it into this ship in time for Thomas's b-day this past week.

These are the cleanest normal bakes I've ever created, and the first time I've had zero ray miss checks on the first go. It took just 3 full days of work with revisions. 30k Poly model, 4098 textures from an 8k pass [d][n][ao][e], really simple geometry aimed at use in Octane Render with Video Co-pilot effects in Adobe After Effects. Dan Brown will be modelling the close ups as hi-poly models for the feature.

Modeled in 3DsMax, Textured in photoshop & Ndo2 with the new free dDo, Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag.

Look forward to the film, and if you'll be at Phoenix Comic Con this year, we have our first demo booth. I'll snap some photos of you with our props and replicas we'll have out.

Cheers

asdasda.jpg
aasdfaf.jpg
HoShK4XCfhfPDsuUXgRp3ZXrp6DxQ5CjFeif3aBqSpQ=w1597-h847-no
Ship5.jpg
Ship6.jpg

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    What species, if any, crews this ship? And how big is the ship?

One problem with the design is that there are no indications of how large it is built into the model. No doors or access hatches, no windows, no observation towers, etc.
  • Thaiauxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
    Humans fly this guy. It's about 500m long.

You're right, that is a little bit of an oversight, but there will be a close up model that fills the gaps in the size, and this one is strictly for the background of a full scene. :)