Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retro SCI-FI Computer (WIP)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kimon polycounter lvl 6
LATEST UPDATE:

Thanks for all the help guys! I've really tried to listen to your C&C and I've decided to call this one done for now! :) See you soon and thanks agagin!

scificomputer_cool.jpg
scificomputer_back.jpg
scificomputer_front.jpg

I've also decided to launch my portfolio at http://simonjonasson.wordpress.com/ .
Content is a bit thin at the moment but should be much better after the summer! URL will be changed to www.simonjonasson.com in a couple of days!

Heya everyone! Been working on a retro sci fi computer on and off for the last couple of days, inspired mostly by ALIENS and an old Hazeltine computer.

Here's where I am right now:

63CMsgB.jpg

qf3W2ih.jpg

Not too much happening in the back right now, but I'm also trying to keep some areas pretty open and clean.

Also some more areas that needs fixing.
C&C is always welcomed!

Thanks for stopping by :)

Replies

• Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty solid so far! Keep it up! Maybe add a little more wear and tear?
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 14
    Cool dude! Maybe some key letters on the keyboard :) Is this rendered in Marmoset?
  • Colditz
    Haha, looks very nice. Remembers me on my GRiD Case from Aliens:

875616.jpeg
  • Thaiauxn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
    Nice! Looks really good!
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot guys! :)

@Tobbo
    Yeah! For sure. I really try to keep it somewhat clean but I agree that some parts seems almost untouched.

@aajohnny
    The thought has crossed my mind also, thing is, not all keyboard buttons are uniquely mapped, just seemed like too much of a UV waste at the time, so I mapped 5-6 of them and then just placed all of them out randomly.

Perhaps some simple alpha planes could do the trick?
    Would be a problem if this was to be animated, though.

@Colditz
    Haha, oh that looks awesome!
    May I ask if it's a fan piece of if you worked on an actual ALIENS game?

@Thaiauxn
    Thanks man, I appreciate it :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Yea sweet

Which font did you use for the display ? Eurostile family?

That grid PC is actually based closely on one of the first laptop thingies.

I think you could make it nicer if you took some of the peripherals like the sticks or those super reflective knobs on the monitor side and made them very matte rubber, to have
    more separation in materials. Also The keyboard keys do not have the look of real keys, I think theres a exact index of refraction / glossyness you have to try to copy to get this
    real fatty keyboard look. If you can get this done, then hat off
  • Demogorgon
    Offline / Send Message
    Demogorgon polycounter lvl 4
    I looked at your pictures before I read your post and straight away I was like ahh that reminds me of Alien movie. Great job.
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @Shrike

Awesome C&C! Thanks.
    Will def try out your suggestions.

About the font, it's called Square 721. I looked at some pictures of the old alien movies and this was the closest free font I could find!

@Demogorgon
    Thanks man! Means a lot :)
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    So, I listen to what you guys said and tried to go from there.
    Perhaps not a huge difference from yesterday but a lot of small tweaks here and there.

2bxKVo8.jpg

BoyMjeE.jpg

TNAP8nY.jpg

Think I will wrap this one up soon. If there is anything you really think should be fixed please let me know! :) Thanks!
  • djoexe
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    really nice bake !
  • Rabant
    Looks awesome! Only feedback would be it looks too clean. If you wanted it to look completely new like it rolled off the line, there would still be a little bit of grunging up to make it a bit more believable. Something subtle could really work , like fingerprints in the Spec channel from when they were setting it up. Maybe just a touch of grime or variation on the keyboard, because some peoples hands are not the cleanest when they type :)
    That may just be my personal preference, but I think a little dirt will really make this pop.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    i love this a lot.
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot guys!

@Rabant
    Looking at it today with fresh eyes I totally agree.
    Will work on it more when I get home today! :)
  • Xolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Xolo polycounter lvl 10
    "Retro sci-fi"
    Retro.
    And now I feel old. I have an old word processor somewhere that looks just like this thing.
  • chrisavigni
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Great! Love it!
  • Colditz
    Kimon wrote: »
    @Colditz
    Haha, oh that looks awesome!
    May I ask if it's a fan piece of if you worked on an actual ALIENS game?

Its just fan work I made in 2008, just after the game "Colonial Marines" was announced. I made a few Aliens props that time.
  • Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Quick question. For the glass on the monitor, did you do anything special for it or is it just specular on the text. Also, is this Marmoset?
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I'm thinking of doing an retro computer soon :D I think this looks awesome, though I would like to see text on the keys. (I know the keys aren't uniquely uved, but still expressing what I'd like to see :P)

Also the screen has a bit of grunge to it. It looks like it's been sitting around for a while. I don't get the same feel from the rest of the computer. It feels split as to how you want to present the model: newer/well kept or sitting and collecting dust.

Personally, a model like this is screaming for a retro company logo, perhaps from the computer manufacturer. Adding a torn/worn decal on the side that fits this style would be an awesome addition.
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the awesome comments! :)

@Swarm22 The glass is really simple tbh nothing sepcial going on, just gloss and spec with some dirt only showing up in some maps etc.

@mospheric
    Oh cool, looking forward to seeing it!
    Yea I know, I would also love to see some keys, thinking about doing it with alpha, see if I can make it look nice.

And, yes, it is!

Hm, yea, about the screen and logo, I agree with you there also.
    Will absolutely look into it! I'm in the making of some side props to tell a better story, but I will for sure touch up this texture before I'm done.
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for all the help guys! I've really tried to listen to your C&C and I've decided to call this one done for now! :) See you soon and thanks agagin!

scificomputer_cool.jpg
    scificomputer_back.jpg
    scificomputer_front.jpg