Home Technical Talk

3ds max - viewport display problem

Hi everyone, I am having troube with the 3ds max viewport, for some reason some objects just show as a flat color- no shading at all, which makes working with the mesh quite complicated..

Sans_titre_1.jpg

I've tried closing/reopening 3ds, changing display driver, and the problem seems to be contained to some objects, as you can see the eyes in the picture are shaded. Rendering works perfectly..

I've been searching the internet for two days and I can't find mention of this anywhere, so I if anyone has any information at all, I would really appreciate it :)
Thank you for your time.

Replies

• samsam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay nevermind, it was because of the skin modifier, if you're having the same problem just add a vertex paint modifier then choose vertx color display - shaded
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've run into that quite often, I paint a lot of skin weights and use viewport canvas as well as vertex paint, it always ends up getting screwed up and is pretty annoying. It seems to happen only when set to the nitrous viewport, not sure why. It's really fun when it doesn't get rid of the texture or shading and you're trying to paint weights.

I used to fix it with the vertex paint modifier like you did, but sometimes adding another modifier to the stack was dicey so I would try going into object properties and checking on/off Vertex Channel Display (lower left corner), that fixes it some of the time too.

But I got tired of doing that so I bound this to a button.
    if $.showVertexColors == true then ($.showVertexColors = off)
    else ($.showVertexColors = on)

It toggles the vertex shading off if its on and on if its off. You can drag the text from here into you're max toolbar to make a button.
  • antikiller_74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark Dygert, thank you very much, it was useful to me