Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bare-Ass Brawler Buddies {Game}

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
So I've been helping a friend on and off with his game. Luckily with most of my client work done I can start being more dedicated to it.

You can download the game here.
http://capsizedmoose.itch.io/bare-assed-brawler-buddies

Video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKVO1aRTdo4"]Bare-assed Brawler Buddies alpha Version 3 - YouTube[/ame]

OLD SCREENSHOTS
8ItBRa.png
eavdi0.png
co5iI1.gif

Currently it is a lot of his art (which I love!) but he wants me to start throwing in my style on it.

Currently finished up a level for it with it's own theme. Next I might start re-working some of the fighters.

I also voiced the death scream in it hah.

tumblr_n4i70pRPJu1r4lwp7o1_500.png

Brawling Hills

tumblr_n4i6wwMNqB1r4lwp7o1_1280.png

Theme: http://brokemypencil.tumblr.com/post/83491694989/for-a-friends-game-i-dont-really-make-music

Replies

• Allan-p
  • CapsizedMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can see the controlls if you press C in the menu haha. but they are not that good right now.
    there will be rebindable keys later tho :)
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dado, thanks!

As far as controls go I think my friend is awaiting moderator approval for his post.

Wrestler wise, I'm still pretty open, I might do a lot of different things. We do have a couple of alien like characters and maybe a special mode for extreme hilarity.

I might do a few burly people and then slowly add some more exotic beings.
  • CapsizedMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Controlls are actually IN the game if you press C in the mainmenu. but they are pretty bad right now. :)
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dado: Thanks man! That means a lot, hopefully this year will be the year I get a job in some studio :P

some character concepts
    tumblr_n4o6yl7bNi1r4lwp7o1_1280.png

tumblr_n4oqieDYed1r4lwp7o1_1280.png
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, i just gave a shot at the prototype.

I'm a bit confused as to what the game design is. i get it's going for what whole silly sumotori dreams thing, but so far i don't think you guys have found the fun? I really think that it's dangerous to be putting final assets into a game that isn't fun yet.

Have you ever played http://www.nidhogggame.com/ ?

I really recommend playing that, it's a perfect example of the sort of thing you guys are trying to do i think.

Your art as always is lovely though :).
  • Rad Sauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice art style. Those backgrounds are great.
  • CapsizedMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Hmm, i just gave a shot at the prototype.

I'm a bit confused as to what the game design is. i get it's going for what whole silly sumotori dreams thing, but so far i don't think you guys have found the fun? I really think that it's dangerous to be putting final assets into a game that isn't fun yet.

Have you ever played http://www.nidhogggame.com/ ?

I really recommend playing that, it's a perfect example of the sort of thing you guys are trying to do i think.

Your art as always is lovely though :).

The aim is to make a physicsbased 2 - 4 player party fighting game that is just fun to play. That's why it's really great to hear your opinion. What do you feel would add more fun to the game? Every other playtester have liked it and I could really use some advice from someone who does not :D

I'm not sure what you mean by Nidhogg being the perfect example? the only similarities is that it's versus haha. The game is not nearly done yet and these are not really final assets either. :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    :).

I'll try and give some more depth feedback, i hope this helps.

Nidhogg is great because it uses a small elegant feature set to make an engaging experience. If you can sort out your core mechanics in a similar way that would be a great step forward.

The best analogy i've ever heard for game design is to think of the player as a scientist. Games are fun when people are working out and learning the intricacies of how a system works, and when things feel unpredictable and uncontrollable my drive to invest the time to learn how it works dissapears. I think Sumotori Dreams works well because while the system is unpredictable, it is learn-able. In this case i think smash brothers is also a really good case study as smash is a physics fighter, but it is also deterministic, and the skill ceiling is through the roof.

First impressions are that the characters just fly around, it feels like they have lightly flatulating rocket backpacks pushing them around the arena. To overcome that is going to require some serious coding brute. I want ways to flick the players across the screen for example, or ways to crush the enemy, or ways to climb walls and get height to use more inertia. i think you get the idea.

I'd say the tldr; version is, raise the skill ceiling and make it more predicable, and you might just find your fun.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went camping, then went to Toronto right after, back at it now.

New level:
    tumblr_n4u8192hqS1r4lwp7o1_1280.png

We are also improved the character selection screen (Capsized Moose worked his magics).

We also discussed several gameplay modes to vary it up a bit.

And finally we are thinking about new ways of implementing characters.