Krita--Master Thread and Google Summer of Code 2014

JedTheKrampus
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 5
Looks like KDE has chosen my proposal for a Google Summer of Code spot on Krita. For those of you not familiar with the program, Krita is a 2D raster program primarily aimed at concept artists and digital painters. My proposal benefits texture artists primarily and has two major parts: first, Krita is going to get a preview renderer that lets you look at your model with the textures and shader you specify. Second, Krita is going to allow you to paint on more than one image with the same paintbrush, making it very easy to keep all your maps in sync with each other. The first lighting model I'm going to be testing this with is going to correspond as closely as possible with Unreal Engine 4, so you'll be able to paint base color, metalness, roughness, and bump maps for conversion to detail normal maps. If I have time I'll make it support Dota 2 as well, but this is a big project and I don't think I'll be able to get that in before summer's end.

If you have any questions about Krita or my plans for the Google Summer of Code, please ask them! I'll begin coding for the proposal on the 21st of May, and before then I'll be finishing the semester here and finding small ways to improve Krita for texture artists.

Replies