add vertex color on a texture

ecas
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ecas polycounter lvl 8
Hello guys,

I have a small texture object, I thought to try to make the shadows using
vertex color to save memory, so I did a small tutorial and I bake the
lighting on the vertex color, I'm using Maya and the problem is once I have the vertex color I can't see my texture, how can I blend the two?

Replies

• ecas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ecas polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, sorry for the bump but I'm still stuck, nobody know how do to this?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hello, I'm not a maya user, so I may be wrong, but there should be a multiply node, that you could use for this.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    ecas wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I have a small texture object, I thought to try to make the shadows using
    vertex color to save memory, so I did a small tutorial and I bake the
    lighting on the vertex color, I'm using Maya and the problem is once I have the vertex color I can't see my texture, how can I blend the two?

In the Color menu, choose the "Color Material Channel" and the "Color Blend Setting", since you aren't seeing your texture you don't need to toggle the color display setting to see your vert colors.

Hope that helps.
  • ecas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ecas polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for the help, I used the Color Material Channel but it was too dark
    and without contrast so I didn't really saw the colors only on Emission I saw the difference but it was too bright.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    ecas wrote: »
    Thank you for the help, I used the Color Material Channel but it was too dark
    and without contrast so I didn't really saw the colors only on Emission I saw the difference but it was too bright.

As far as vertex lighting goes, it can only do so much, if something is fairly low poly there won't be that much fidelity to the lighting and shadows.

If the lighting is too dark, you could always play around with the blend settings, see how modulate 2x works, and if it still is satisfactory, you can modify vertex color channel itself, brightening it to your until you get something you like.