Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scrolling Handpainted Scene (Unity)

Vaalan
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Vaalan polycounter lvl 10
Hello everybody,

I'm working on a new personnal scene. It's more like a scrolling game, i made differents tilled assets .

Everything is handpainted, I only used maya, photoshop and unity.

The scene is not finish yet, that is why I decided to post it here, I need some feedback (because I don't know if the render is good or not :/)

Here are some images of my render in-game and an other to better understand the scene :
(For now, it's juste a little part. I don't want to create a big lvl)

702341DungeonSnow01.jpg

201837DungeonSnow03.jpg

And some assets :

860286DungeonSnow02.jpg

My objectif is just to have a little level who is graphically " working " . There is no gameplay yet, maybe later ^^

I appreciate your feedback : )

Replies

• Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    The individual assets look great, the stage as a whole is a bit hard to read.
    (Where can the player go, what's horizontal, what's vertical, what's close, what's far etc. ?)
    Color and tone are very similar throughout, also stronger lighting should help. (The torches are more distracting than helping, right now, because apart from some glow they hardly show which planes of the stage are facing which direction.)
    Is the upper level some kind of roof or floor? Seems a bit like floor-tiles stacked in heaps on each other.
    Mortar and snow are hard to tell apart.
    The snow on some of the assets, while looking good, might be a bit to detailed and small depending on your gameplay and the rest of the level. (Snow on the floor seems less detailed.)

Edit: Did a rough paintover and (re)learned how to make a .gif.
    The snow on the floor is a quick and cheap solution now in order to make a point.
    Could be different colors, could be wood, could be just the lighting.
    You can get darker the farther we get from the camera, or lighter like here, but not as much. Change colors, get out of focus etc. (Though the latter might lead to a miniature effect. )

DungeonSnow_op.gif
  • Vaalan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for your post !!

I'm agree with you, it's not easy to understand the scene, that why i was blocked >.<

You're gif is nice =) and the render work very well ! I will try something like that (not easy to do T_T)

Thanks again, I try now :p
  • Dennispls
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    Loving the props so far! Noren has some great points and his example makes the scene look a lot better!
  • 87roach
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Great work on the scene so far, I also agree that what Noren has done REALLY brings the scene together!(nice man!)
  • DWalker
    The snowflakes are really enormous - you'd probably be better off just using circles to represent snow rather than your current flakes.

If the wind is strong enough to keep the flags horizontal, then the snow should be blowing significantly to the side. If you are going to have a strong wind, then you might want to have if affect the player - e.g. he jumps farther moving with the wind than against it.

The brazier & torches would provide enough heat to melt the snow in the immediate area. Smoke & steam would also be more apparent in the snow.
  • Vaalan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello !
    Sorry to not updat more faster but my computer was down T_T

Hum, i change the color and the light like you're GIF. And i prefer the render now =D

DWalker => I will try to change the snowflakes and the others advices !

So 2 update (bridge is not finish, like 50% of the elements >.< )

972783Screen01.jpg

442453Screen02.jpg
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    I really like the assets and texture work !

But I have to agree with the previous critics, I feel like the whole scene doesn't really read that well. It's very busy.
    There's not much value and color difference between what's in the background, what's walkable and what's not, which is super important in scrolling game like this.

Maybe there's too much high-frequency details everywhere too ? I don't know. It looks like the problem comes from the lighting too. *shrug*

Last update is a big big improvement over the first one though, so it's definitly going in the right direction. :poly142:
    Keep it up !!:)
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Vaalan wrote: »
    Hello !
    Sorry to not updat more faster but my computer was down T_T

Hum, i change the color and the light like you're GIF. And i prefer the render now =D

DWalker => I will try to change the snowflakes and the others advices !

So 2 update (bridge is not finish, like 50% of the elements >.< )

972783Screen01.jpg

442453Screen02.jpg

Cool, I love it.
    I think that your midground lacks a bit of contrast though.. it almost blends into the background, that's looking very nice in the overpaint. Maybe let the fog kick in a little further away.
    I'd also stick to plain snow rather than having those roof/floor tiles lying around, it makes the whole scene a little easier to read.
    Anyways very cool scene and crazy detail on those wooden pieces. :)

45975599xy.jpg