Home General Discussion

Is Modo really that amazing?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's had some updates for 801 - I think mostly for UDIM stuff though.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought that was the unwrap and relax functions. Pack didn't change, I don't think...
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe I'm weird, but I like to pack UVs by hand. It's like a really boring and awful jigsaw puzzle.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    My studio updated from Modo 601 straight to 801 today. Haven't tried the most of the new stuff but I'm immensely satisfied with the new snapping. It works and feels a lot better. Also:
    EEsaW6L.jpg?1
    ibxmujSnEnqaJE.gif
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    God I wish I liked Modo more.

I tested meshfusion for some time and I loved it, viewport performance is great compared to Blender and even 3ds Max, I guess modelling tools are good too.

I can't get over the interface though, it seems so different to other packages out there.

People say that Blender's UI is somehow strange and different,
    but I think that Modo's is way more so.
    Maybe it's just me getting older:(
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Hey... is it possible to recolor Modo's UI, like Blender? I'm not digging the yellow at all.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Hey... is it possible to recolor Modo's UI, like Blender? I'm not digging the yellow at all.

modocolors_zps05227c33.png
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Big improvement over 601 and yes "Export selected layers" = :D
    MDiamond wrote: »
    My studio updated from Modo 601 straight to 801 today. Haven't tried the most of the new stuff but I'm immensely satisfied with the new snapping. It works and feels a lot better. Also:

ibxmujSnEnqaJE.gif
  • repete
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    repete wrote: »

If you pop into the Modo SE chat channel on steam, you can talk to the guy who made that video. Theres generally a member of the Foundry staff in there and its a great way to find out more information or just chat it up about the software.

I see no reason why it cant be baked into a normal map though. Theres always displacement maps that can be created also, then its just baking the high poly info onto the low poly.
    frmdbl wrote: »
    God I wish I liked Modo more.

I tested meshfusion for some time and I loved it, viewport performance is great compared to Blender and even 3ds Max, I guess modelling tools are good too.

I can't get over the interface though, it seems so different to other packages out there.

People say that Blender's UI is somehow strange and different,
    but I think that Modo's is way more so.
    Maybe it's just me getting older:(

The interface is not really all that foreign actually... (except for maybe the shader tree, but 801 has nodes as well). I just switched it over to a maya keymap, turned off track ball rotation and it felt like home. Theres tabs for everything really, in the lower left by default you get a window with tabs that equate pretty much to Mayas attribute editor. ON the left you have tools, and like Maya's hit Q to drop tool, you hit space bar instead (this can be changed to Q as well).

Its pretty darned streamlined, though there are pockets that can be considered convoluted... and the editor windows are usually a lot of numerical inputs and toggles with very little visual variation, which can make it a bit hard to follow at times. More importantly its consistent though, and thats not something I can suggest Blender is at this moment.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Confirmed my Greg himself :poly108:

Normals & displacement can be baked !!!!
    Dataday wrote: »
    If you pop into the Modo SE chat channel on steam, you can talk to the guy who made that video. Theres generally a member of the Foundry staff in there and its a great way to find out more information or just chat it up about the software.

I see no reason why it cant be baked into a normal map though. Theres always displacement maps that can be created also, then its just baking the high poly info onto the low poly.

The interface is not really all that foreign actually... (except for maybe the shader tree, but 801 has nodes as well). I just switched it over to a maya keymap, turned off track ball rotation and it felt like home. Theres tabs for everything really, in the lower left by default you get a window with tabs that equate pretty much to Mayas attribute editor. ON the left you have tools, and like Maya's hit Q to drop tool, you hit space bar instead (this can be changed to Q as well).

Its pretty darned streamlined, though there are pockets that can be considered convoluted... and the editor windows are usually a lot of numerical inputs and toggles with very little visual variation, which can make it a bit hard to follow at times. More importantly its consistent though, and thats not something I can suggest Blender is at this moment.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God DAMN it ... I might have to get this upgrade after all.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    WarrenM wrote: »
    God DAMN it ... I might have to get this upgrade after all.

:poly121: you know you want to :poly121:
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Here is the stitcher LXO file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzBIO4PPUuInMUtsLS16ZFI3eE0/edit?usp=sharing

only works in 801 !

Big thanks to Greg Brown for this, its a freaking awesome :thumbup:
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    repete wrote: »

Mother of God. Will certainly take a look at this curve-seam wizardry in the next days.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Is there something like max displacement ?
    So I can displace model geometry (in viewport, not in renderer), and then just crunch unneeded polygons ?

Aside from splines, that was feature I actually used quite often.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea.
    Assign a material to the whole mesh (M)
    With the new material selected, in the Shading tab, Add Layer > Image Map
    then RMB on the newly imported maps effect and change from diffuse to Surface Shading > Displacement

That'll show in the viewport. Though I'm not sure about crunching down the geometry, don't think Modo has anything like Maxs "Pro Optimizer" or ZBrushes "Decimation Master" built in.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has an optimizer, but it's not very good TBH.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks. That's not the problem I can do it manually or in something like MeshLab. As long as I can displace geometry and export it, is all good.