Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some wips

Hi everyone, so I saw people getting good crits/feedback here and thought it'd be a good idea to post some of my wips, I'm starting to build a portfolio and aiming to work for a Wizards/Applibot or other ccg type companies, I think these showcase my current skill, so I still gotta learn how to get them to a polish finish, any help appreciated, thanks!:

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Welcome Mpdpsy! Nice stuff. How long have you been working at this for?

My first thoughts are that you have your brush technique down and good motor skills, and you have an ok grasp of material definition and light.

Now I'm going to have to be pretty straight forward, but i figure you can take it and want it if Wizards and Applibot are the goal. Both are the absolute cream of the crop and i don't think that fact escapes you. Also remember the only work i have seen of yours is these three four pieces.

You biggest hurdle is your lack of planning, and attention to structure and form. Your pieces all feel like you just laid down some blobs and then just kept working at them, this is most evident in the horse piece. The characters don't fit into a world. if you want to do illustration, you will usually be given a solid brief, and you need to be the extension of the clients imagination and make their ideas come to life.
    If you aren't making little stories up yourself to do it you are going to run into some major issues.

So what can you do to fix this, well for one I'd suggest writing a little scenario for yourself before you start a piece, who is the character, what are the doing, what mood do you want, do some composition sketches and lend conscious design to every part of the process. For the short term i would recommend doing this even for speed paints.

I think this will get you a large part of the way there.

If you have any thing specific you want help with i'd be happy to provide a paintover or two.
  • mpdpsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you Muzz! I worked on these the past 2-3 weeks on and off, and you're right I do need to plan these better before starting them, now with a fresh eye I agree the storytelling aspect in each of these is very vague. I would love a paintover!, maybe on how to make the form/structure better for the female warrior lying in the water, and what kind of elements to add to make the image stronger narratively, again thanks man, I appreciate you taking the time giving feedback.