Replies

• ScottHoneycutt
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Metal! Reflections!

40.jpg

So after the tech thread (and asking around over at Unreal's forum) I have the metal reflecting better. I had to experiment quite a bit with various gloss, metal and color settings, as well as Unreal in general (skylights, skybox, ambient cubemaps, moved around some more in the free example levels that go with the manual documentation, etc). It feels good to get this far :poly142:

Any thoughts? Does it look more defined now?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Something is still off, but this does look much better. :) I think the rust albedo could use a little work (more photoref maybe?), but then I reckon you'll be golden.

(also, compared to the earlier version in your folio, this is on a whole 'nother level. Good job.)
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, this is looking really nice now.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

41.jpg
    42.jpg

Here's what I'm looking at for the potential final. Any critiques are still welcome. My biggest frustration at this point is background. With IBL, I don't know how to control the background color. The blue-gray in the back is a sphere which is actually almost black in the material editor. I have an HDR in the cubemap slot of a post process volume, along with a main light and two red lights from the ground level. The lower image has black on a sphere and you can see that the lighting is more controlled, while the lighting on the higher image is overblown. I've asked on a tech thread and over on Unreal's forums and can't figure out what direction to go in.

edit: my Unreal tech thread is still going:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2118510#post2118510
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    44.jpg

Here I placed the object into multiple scenes you can download from the Unreal 4 marketplace. The top-right is the reflections subway and I really feel that it captures the essence of what I'm looking for (this is from Deadspace after all). I'm not going to just throw this into my folio and say "good enough". I want to do it justice. My question at this point is about what you can and can't place into a folio piece? Could I leave it in one of these scenes, or would that be considered stealing? What about simply using the material that come with Unreal 4 (maybe I could quickly make an environment)? Maybe I could leave this lighting in place but take some things out even? At this point, these are questions I can't learn on my own through practice ... I need to ask. I've asked multiple times on multiple forums and there doesn't seem to be an answer to the questions about backgrounds for folio props. I don't have Marmoset. In my experiments with unreal 4, it seems like a plain color background isn't really what it does well. I'm thinking a simple environment would be great, but it would need to be done right and simple.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    01-14.jpg

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/dead-space-door

Thanks much everyone for the help. I'm calling this done ... again! I could remake this render forever, but I'm happy with this. Having said that, I will likely use the 30 day trial of Marmoset to redo my other two props. :D!

@JedTheKrampus: I used an HDR for reflection from the link you posted, thanks.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I should have chimed in, I really like the first environment in the set of four above, it looks great. You should be allowed to include it in your portfolio if you include a credit somewhere saying you didn't make any of the other assets, and it's a free demo scene from UE4. Eventually, hopefully, you can just plop your props in a sort of a mini scene made out of stuff that you can quickly make/reuse for a render. It's turned out great though! Good job. :)