Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Dead Awake - Artist learning to code

Replies

• Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    So I fixed some bugs in the generation, optimized some scripts (the enemyAI was sucking the life out of my CPU when generating large levels). Below is a gif where I generate some different layouts in a floor size of 40 rooms.

B7LUzIk.gif

There is still a big freeze when all the rooms get activated but I might be able to solve that later on.

Will fix some features I have planned now such as two slots for ranged weapons, a health indicator, more melee weapons and also the ability to fight with your hands.

Latest version playable HERE

edit: i noticed a bug when recording the gif, seems that rooms gets added over the intro room. This doesn't happen in the game, just used the wrong function when capturing to gif ;)
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks so much for taking the time to give some pointers. Will be very interested to see more!

Cheers~

:)
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Novian: Of course, we fellow novice artist-coders need to help each other while the true coders snort at our beginner skills ;)

If you need some tips if you get stuck on something in your game feel free to ask and we might be able to solve it together.
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I didn't like that players always had to throw away cool guns because they didn't have enough ammo so today I added two slots for ranged weapons.

TTzVZaPl.jpg

To switch between weapons use TAB. I need to think about the controls and improve the "tutorial" some day but untill then here are the control scheme:

Mouse 1: Melee Attack
    Mouse 2 (hold): Aim Ranged Weapon
    Mouse 2 + 1: Fire ranged Weapon

F: Interact
    Q: Throw Melee Weapon
    Q + Mouse 2: Throw Ranged Weapon
    TAB: Switch Ranged Weapon

Latest version playable HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    "Finished" support for multiple floors with procedural generation. I have some issues as listed below but I'll sort those out later on.

Bugs:
    • Crash at last floor (need to add outro room and sequence)
    • All elevators say that they are at floor 1
    • Elevator doors flicker when generating next floor and can be opened before the elevator arrives.

PLAY IT HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I added a highlight to lootable objects to make them more visible. Also added the first melee weapon the player will get, a screwdriver.. Tough luck..

LS0CGK9.jpg

Feedback is wanted so if you have a few minutes please play the game and tell me what sucks and what doesn't :D
    Latest version playable in browser HERE
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 12
    Zilk, just about everything is awesome. Two things that I noted. One, the movement is still a bit strange to me. Specifically the turning. I know this is a difficult thing for me to master as well so no offence intended. Its a hard nut to crack. Second I would recommend some visual indication of both the player being attacked and the enemies. It was a bit hard to tell if I was going to win my knife fight when I ran out of ammo. Overall of course this is amazing! I look forward to playing some more on my lunch break! :)

Cheers~
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for taking the time to play! The controls are somewhat inspired by Miami Hotline, damn that games awesome :) But yeah, it takes a while to get into..
    I will add animations to the characters later on, have just been holding it off since I think it's so boring :D
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Cool stuff man! Reminds me of Loaded. Loved that game
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Shit, didn't even think of Loaded.. Loved that game too, best game on the PS1 :D
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Changed my mind about the art and started changing the game to pure top down instead. Solves a lot of headache and I kind of like it better.

QE22MrL.jpg
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Have continued on changing the art to top down. Only the door and elevator left to change then everything is fixed. Also tried adding a line of sight effect.

No playable demo of this since all the other rooms than the start room are f****ed up and needs fixing.

Lan12tt.gif
  • dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    Hey. Cool game so far. Sometimes when I die the saying "Press R to restart" doesn't show up. Did it the first time I played but hasn't done since. I think it would be nice to show a health bar somewhere in there. I know its a perma-death game but still might be cool. Gives you the "oh shit I'm almost dead" feeling when your low on health :). And/or health bars on the enemies. I've also been having trouble exchanging weapons that I drop to new ones that I find. I drop the one I have but then immediately pick it back up without moving. Also the last time I played the second level didn't generate. I rode the elevator up and it opened but no level to walk around just black everywhere. Keep up the good work tho.
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I seem to have some reset bugs when dying with both the UI and floor generation, thanks for the report :)

The health bar for the player is planned, will make it a dot health system where one hit removes one dot. Rare health packs will be added with this system as well.

I have added your feedback points to my tasklist, thanks for the feedback :)
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Fixed all rooms to work with the new pure top down art and remade the doors. Still have to redesign the elevators and fix some offset issues in the floor generation.

h7wiUUt.png

Although it is playable so try it out HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Found some of the s**tload of bugs and got them fixed. The floor generation is working a lot better now. Still gotta fix that there is two doors when going up a floor and leaving the elevator.

Although it is playable so try it out HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    This weekend I fixed a lot of bugs and also finally got all art switched to pure top down view. Next is getting a vertical slice going with all 5 floors working correctly and a mockup "end scene" when reaching the exit on the 5th floor.

45W8AGq.png
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Have been smashing bugs these last few days, seem to finally have smashed the bug that made everything go to hell with the generator after dying once and restarting. Now the game is playable up to Floor 5 where it will crash when activating the elevator.

Mockup end scene next!

Still have a lot of bugs left but give it a go HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I fixed the double door issue with elevators this evening. There are a few polish bugs such as showing the correct level numbers in the elevator and auto-opening the door on arrival but I'll leave that for later.

It can as always be played HERE

WvJEWa6.jpg
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I still have a lot of things to do but I thought it could be nice for everyone too see where I'm headed. So here is some upcoming features I'm gonna tackle next in somewhat organized order. I'm currently working with the final room and mockup game ending.
    • Final room with mockup game ending
    • Healthbar system with 4 bars = 4 hits
    • Healthkits to heal player
    • Switch bullets to use raycasts instead of physics to avoid misses
    • Add hands as unequipped melee weapon
    • Main character and animations
    • Enemy characters and animations
    • More variation to rooms and floors
    • Improved intro and control scheme tutorials
    • More weapons both melee and ranged
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I have been thinking about the controls, they seem to be troublesome to understand for new players. Anyone got any suggestions for control scheme? I could go Miami Hotline and skip the aim and just have a button to switch between weapons.

Ideas and suggestions would be awesome, give it a go and see if you understand the controls and make a suggestion on how you would want them.

It can as always be played HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Here is a quick animation showing off the render passes used to achieve the art style. Hope you guys like it!
    n0UjduY.gif
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    A guy from the Unity forum made this let's play video, awesome :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQtyY3NvhY"]Let's Play: Dead Awake (Early Alpha?) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I started working on the top floor and did some floor textures. I also added the top floor to the floor generator so now it's placed when you walk out of the last floor elevator.

L55YYq4.png
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Now the generator is completed with a last floor and a short end sequence. I also experimented with a script that animates lightsources and has the ability to spawn particles.. Therefor I added some broken cables to try it out ;)

uTIX5uv.gif

See if you can reach the ending in this Webplayer Demo

EDIT: OH! I tweaked the controls to remove the sluggish feel some have felt.
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I made another update tonight, fixing some bugs like auto-opening the elevator on arrival and a collision issue with the elevators.

I also made a fun little bubble effect on the toxic leaks :)

x167KEw.gif
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Damn this is a though crowd to get some response from :P Next on the list is designing the main character and trying to get it animated.

I will probably go for sprite sheet animations for this.
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Main character design is done. It is split into a few sections so I can start animating it tomorrow. It will be running two animations, one for the upper body and one for the feet.

39qvrXf.png
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, played the game for a bit. Like the overall artstyle, especially the lighting you have going on. I think the new character looks good, looking forward to seeing it in game.
    What are you planning to add to the game gameplay wise? From what I played it seems pretty much identical to Teleglitch. Not just gameplay, but setting and objectives (zombies, teleporters). Might be a bit early to criticise but better bring it up now than when you're 90% done.
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    callebo: I haven't tried that game yet but I guess I have to now :P

The plan is to add more enemy types and tweak the game to be more survival and less run & gun. I have zombies planned that have armor and need to be killed with melee weapons, some bigger tank zombies that charge the player knocking him down and also some thin and fast zombies.

Also I now realize that I gotta change the elevators to look more like elevators (since they aren't teleporters) and also improve the start (which is a cryochamber).

The idea is that the game takes place in a secret underground bunker and the player wakes up from cryo sleep and has to reach the surface (fight through all 5 floors) and on the way uncover what happened there.

Anyone got any good gameplay features/ideas apart from that? :)
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Hah, took a look at the Teleglitch trailer and I see your point. Although I think the games will differ quite a lot in feel, gameplay and look so I'm not all that worried that people will believe it's a clone.

Thanks for the tip!
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Ahh yeah, it's pretty darn hard to make something and not have it paired up against something already existing. It reminded me of it so much I figured you had taken inspiration from it. Going for a more survival approach seems fitting!

Now, me thinking it was teleporters might have been because of my mind being drawn back to Teleglitch. Might be ways to make it look more like an elevator, but I think a fitting sound que will do the job.

Keep it up!
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Got the feet animations working this weekend. Still looks a little rough when the upper body rotates and it transitions between animations and also the strafe animations look a little weird but I'll leave it like this for later.

r8sWWBy.gif

Try the web version HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I started putting in animations for the upper body last night. A lot of polish and a few animations missing but it might end up looking quite good.

TsmH1zE.gif
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    So I added animations for two handed ranged weapons tonight, just have the reload animation left. After this I'll either do death animations or continue with some other task since I'm quite bored with animations at the moment :D

UOiS45b.gif

Try it HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I finished up handgun and rifle animations this evening.

After that I got around to fixing some bugs that I have been bothered by for a long time. I also started working on a hit effect script to put special hit effects on objects when they are hit with bullets. But it seems like there might have been a beer or two too many so it doesn't really work as intended yet...

Try the latest version HERE
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    So a lot of people have asked for a minimap and I have been thinking it would be a b**ch to implement but tonight I figured it out and had one up and running in 30 minutes. Now 2 hours later it is "polished" with animations and everything.

sg9J0uS.gif

It is mapped to TAB and I also remapped weapon switching to the scroll wheel.

Try it HERE
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hey, if no1 mentioned this already you should make death/dead anims for the zombies, so you know when they are actually dead.

I hate when I think ive killed one and have to check a few sec if its not moving to be sure.
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    lotet: the zombies are still mockup so they will get real art and animations as the main character soon. I will try to add a few different death animations as well depending on the weapon and damage they were killed by. Thanks for playing :)
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    I have been fixing some issues that people have addressed such as better highlight on loot.
    tq5ZWt9.gif

I also finished my hit effect script and added it to the green barrels as a test.
    KlwLFuR.gif

And tonight I made the art for the basic type of zombie and put some quick animations on it, so now the zombies at least walk :D
    mw8ehze.gif

Although when I added the zombies my draw call issue with the sprites became a real issue, I have to figure out why batching on sprites doesn't work...

Play the latest version HERE but expect some performance issues
  • Stephenssart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stephenssart polycounter lvl 9
    Hey i dont know if im the only one getting this issue but i seem to be unable to pick up weapons off the ground after the initial room, and also cant wait to see this progress further
  • Zilk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk polycounter lvl 4
    Hmm.. I can't reproduce that issue. They don't disappear when you walk over them?

You can only have 1 melee weapon and 2 ranged weapons equipped. Aim and Press Q to throw out ranged weapons. (I'm gonna include a controls tutorial later on)