Home Technical Talk

Merge 3d scanned models in one

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Wozner polycounter lvl 10
Hello,

I have a model of a bag of chips, it has been 3d scanned from top and bottom side. So I have two models, where I have removed floor, that was scanned also . I need to combine both models of bottom and top of chips bag into one single mesh. I could use symmetry modifier in 3ds max to make for example top mesh to be like one, but I need to merge two meshes into one. Two models have different polycount, so it is not possible to merge them without any problem (I need to save texture for both models) So the question is, how to merge two scanned models into one without seams and artifacts, keep theri texture data?

Replies

• battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    i'd retopologise the combined mesh (2 sides of the chips bag),assign UV's to the new mesh and bake the texture information. Then fix the seams in photoshop or mudbox or whatever

You could also import the model into Zbrush,duplicate the subtool, Fill the holes, Qremesh it , divide it to desired resolution, save morphtarget, project the first mesh(imported one) on the Qremeshed one, clean up manually with the Morph Brush, decimate the fuck out of it and import it in your hardmodeling software.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Usually the 3D scanner in question has software with it in which your able to clean, edit and fuse scans that you've made. It sounds asif you have two separate scans; and would like these fused and ideally it needs to be ran through its dedicated software.

Once this is done then you'll be chucked out one final mesh; that's quite accurate, however will have a few issues here and there and can cleanup/retopologise/bake within the standard Zbrush/Xnormal/Max-Maya pipeline.

The scan itself also keeps texture data in two ways; either uving the scan is thousands of small islands bit by bit, or by vertex colours. Again; this can be baked across to a lower poly once Unwrapped via Zbrush or Xnormals.

Cheers

David
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, I do not know person who scanned the models, so I do not know which software is native for scanner. Textures are divided into islands, so I need I guess to pack them in photoshop... Maybe there is way to get texture like projection or render to texture, without photoshop work on islands? I guess I still need retopologize models and connect, but what about taking texture from scanned object?
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    If I'm understanding you right try using meshlab. There are several videos on this channel that might help http://youtu.be/4g9Hap4rX0k
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to use Meshlab, used one mesh, mirrored it, and saved in two separate files. But when I try to glue mesh, Meshlab says that "Failure. There are no overlapping meshes?
    No candidate alignment arcs. Nothing Done."

http://postimg.org/image/joge4c6ab/

I must be missing something
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is how my model looks in UV editor. Is it possible to get seamless texture from 3ds max? Or I should glue those texture islands in Photoshop?

http://postimg.org/image/4hrjycai5/
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    bring your two halfs in to ZBrush as separate subtools. place them correctly, merge, dynamesh, clean up seam / sculpt some more detail, retopo/UV and bake.

You can also bring in the texture in ZB and convert it to polypaint and re-project to your re-topod mesh/uvs
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay JohnnyRaptor I got the point, seems like working for me. But what about texture? Any ideas about how to get those texture islands in logic texture? I guess I need glue those texture islands in one texture using photoshop
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bring in your scans as separate subtools in zbrush, then import the texture, flip it vertically, and then on each subtool, go to texturemap, and select the flipped texture you just imported.

This only works if your 3dscans have the UVs still intact.

Once you have added the textures, you can then on each subtool again, convert the texture to polypaint (you may need to subdivide the scans to have enough polys to maintain the details from the texture resolution)

Once that is done, follow the steps above to clean up and add detail to your 3d scan, but make sure to leave polypaint turned on when you dynamesh so it gets transferred along.

Once you have your new 3dscan mesh combined and dynameshed with the polypaint, you can dupicate your new mesh, retopologize it and unwrap it with a nice clean uv, then subdivide and project the details and polypaint from the scan to the retopo mesh, and from under the texture dropdown, use Create from Polypaint to bake it.
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the piece of advice.

I must be doing somethng wrong. I have imported one piece of model for test, then imported texture in zbrush, after went to UV map and created 4096 map, flipped it vertically (flip V) and then in texture map picked my imported texture, seems like uv is not working. I am missing something
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you first import your 3dscan piece, under UV Map, is the Delete UV button greyed out ?
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delete UV is active, I can remove it
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good, that means your 3dscan is coming in to zbrush with UVs.

Make sure you flip the texture before you apply it to the mesh.
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the help JohnnyRaptor, I did as you said and finally got my model in zbrush textured. As for the getting texture, I did a little trick. I have aligned all polys in max by Z axis, so it made it as flat surface and then rendered it with hi res, and got a good quality texture.
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any possible way to flatten mesh and render texture from it? Flatten in max works good for the center of model, but for the rest it is stretching polys, so texture is not visible on its edges. Maybe some technique like pelt mapping for UV's is possible in max pr zbrush for models?

Achieve somethng like this

http://postimg.org/image/4l6wmfo7z/
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why do you want to flatten it ?

If its to get a good UV layout, you can just duplicate it, unwrap the duplicate mesh with UVs the way you want, and us maxes Render to Texture feature to transfer the texture from the old split uv mesh to the new mesh with good uvs. ?
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for being dumb. I duplicated models, done UV map for the second model. But how to set p render to texture, to project texture to my new UV? Are there any tutorials on youtube, tried to google but texture projection or any other requests giing wrong results.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check this,

(i only scrubbed through it quickly, but it seems to cover it)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJ-NkpIYTs"]Autodesk 3ds max Tutorial render to texture - YouTube[/ame]
  • Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch! It worked, I have rendered seamless texture, which I can combine with top texture and assign to merged model in zbrush. Thank you so much JohnnyRaptor!!!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, glad you got it sorted :)