Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Face WIP (First ever sculpt!)

Hi all! Hope you are well. I'm new to Polycount and sculpting in general and was hoping you could help me out.

I'm a Computer Animation student that really wants to learn sculpting.
Here is a quick paint I did to get an idea of what I want to create:

qpmDs5N.jpg

And here is what I have so far. (Using Mudbox) I'm still actively working on it, I know there's still a lot of issues to fix, but general pointers for a newbie would be really appreciated!

jLMsUu1.jpg

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Using real-life reference would be a good idea. A quick painting can take you to very different places than your goal if you are just starting out with sculpting.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Focus less on the small details, and start with planes of face will help. Also, less subdiv.
    planes_of_the_head_-_male_3d_model_obj_1841fa60-a307-4dbf-b6ec-8fd99a12b194.jpg

Once you manage nice proportions and forms, start hitting facial features with real model refs.
    http://www.pinterest.com/PyrZern/reference-faces-n-hair/
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    IMHO if I were you I wouldn't even worry about scenes or context yet. I would focus on the basics and learn your anatomy. Sculpt a hundred or more heads(from reference). Your first head sculpt is not the one to worry about placing in a nifty scene, nor your second or third. I guarantee you if you forget this idea and focus on anatomy and sculpting practice even for a month, you'll be able to look at this piece and see why I would give you this advice.
  • rawkowt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the swift feedback guys. You're suggestions are completely reasonable and fair. For those reasons, Dan, I will take your advice and dedicate the next month practising sculpting with reference. Cheers guys, will definitely keep you updated!