Home Technical Talk

Parametric tools for sub-d modelling and using math

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
I'm trying to replicate this torus shape with "dents" in it and the problem is that I can't clone geo in radial array so it would stack poly to poly and maintain perfect round shape. I've tried two approaches.

1)Cut across two smaller dents. In this case I get perfect round shape with equal distance between dents if I weld all vertices manually. I tried merging them with preset distance but infortunately somee vertices are two far from each other and because of that some vertices which I don't need to be weld get welded too. I don't think it's a good productive approach.

2)Cut the neighboor polygons but in this case distance between dents lose its uniformity. While I think nobody would pay attention to that kind of detail in games it may matter in arch-viz.

How would you approach this? I started thinking about calculating the number of polygons in relation to radius of the torus so they would form a perfect circle with no seams in radial array but my brain capitulated.

Is there some specific parametric tool for that?

Replies

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Marius Silaghi sells a radial symmetry modifier.
    If you need to do stuff like this more often it might be worth a look.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tooks screens to show how I do this step by step. It's eaiser to weld vertices if I do this if I do this in 2) way (see my first post) but I lose uniformity of distance between dents. If I do this in 1) way I and cut across the dents I get some nasty seams in them which take too long to fix.

Actually even though I use Modo I started with 3d Max but couldn't cope with interface and started trying other packages from which Modo proved to be the easiest to deal with. But after I learned how sub-d works the package doesn't really matter that much anymore. Turns out I struggled with sub-d principles, not 3D Max interface (even though I still think that Modo has better UI). So I plan on taking a week to relearn 3d Max because it's the most popular package where I live and people often require it to be used. Also modifier stack is a very useful tool, I wish Modo had something like that.

I'll look into this script for Max.

2 Perna: I saw you mentioning parametric tools Max has which makes it superior to other modelling packages in your opinion. What are these?
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    perna wrote: »
    Dzi uses Modo ;)

D'oh! But at least a bit lucky at the same time.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try to replicate the shape in Max this weekend but I think there must be a way to do this in Modo.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I did it in Modo, it was rather easy. Will post mini-tut for other people who may struggle with that after I'll do the same in 3d Max. I also learned how to arrange segments in a perfect cylinder because round ornaments require that. Will post it later too.