Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Harbour Inn (WIP)

Hi everyone

I've started a new project to try and learn UE4 and I figured a scene inside an Inn located in a small harbour town would be a good choice. I can learn making some stone, wood, glass materials and have some interesting lighting effects from the fireplace and table candles.

I've completed the meshing out of the scene with basic light setup and below are the results.

My next step is to go out and grab some reference material, I will create a mood board to give you an idea of what I want to achieve, but until then please crit and post suggestions.

HarbourInn_Meshing01.jpg

HarbourInn_Meshing02.jpg

HarbourInn_Meshing03.jpg

Replies

• GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Right now this scene is rather boring. Make sure to spice it up a bit. If it's indeed on a harbor, make sure to add things that you may find in a place like this. Maybe an anchor, fish on the walls, netting, old pics of fisherman etc. I don't believe you're done 'meshing out the scene'. Get more creative with it. Your reference gathering should help you with this.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I'm surprised you got this far without reference. What happens when a big yacht gets pushed through the wall from a storm? Could be interesting
  • owlfrog
    Offline / Send Message
    owlfrog polycounter lvl 5
    I agree with GOBEE, you need to have more on the walls. They are so barren right now. And there's almost too many glasses to be honest. I would put bottles of something, like alcohol or milk (aha). It just seems like they are taking up space, no real reason for it.

I think you should add character to this scene. Even if you are trying to learn UE4, you should have a goal in mind of how you want this to look. A still image of an empty room seems kind of boring to me. You could spice it up by maybe having it look as though there was a really bad storm the night before, so there are glasses around, maybe a chair knocked over. Something that seems interesting, so people will want to look at it more and analyze what may have happened.

Hope this helps!
  • mikeParker
    Thanks guys for replying back and giving your input, I now realize that the scene needs more and it could have an interesting theme to make it stand out.

I agree destroying the bar from a storm or a bar fight would make it more interesting and give it a story, one idea which might sound a little out there would be

"Giant Kraken attacking the Inn"

This would be a challenge but it would make it more interesting, I will do a quick blockout inside of Modo and see what I can come up with.

In regards to reference gathering, I went out down to "Teignmouth" and managed to grab a few pictures from inside local pubs/inns. This was extremely useful and has given me a lot more to think about when it comes to populating the walls.

Special thanks to "The Ness", "Ship Inn", "Jolly Sailor" and "The Endeavour"

MoodBoard01.jpg
  • mikeParker
    My latest update includes a few changes to the scene to try and make it interesting as possible. I went with the idea of the "Kraken" attacking the Inn, looking for it's lost limb which is in fact just above the bar.

There are still a few pieces missing such as the exterior and broken pieces of glass but I hope you get an idea of what I'm aiming for. I haven't decided on a color / texture scheme just yet and I hope to start modelling out the high poly models soon. Please point out any errors or suggestions you may have, thank you.

HarbourInn_Meshing04.jpg

HarbourInn_Meshing05.jpg

HarbourInn_Meshing06.jpg

HarbourInn_Meshing08.jpg