Home Technical Talk

Need help with High Poly to Low poly Conversion\

Hi, I'm making 3D models in Blender for a game based on UDK. Currently I'm only working on environment art like walls and stairs. Nothing related to character models. I've basically created a high poly model on which I've done a little bit of sculpting. I want to bake the normal maps into a low poly model using xNormal. My doubt is whether I should use the decimate option to create the low poly version or just start over with another low poly version. When I use decimate option, I'm not able to go below 5k tris since it starts looking very bad. On the other hand, I can make a new low poly model with a few 100 tris, with the disadvantage that the edges are very noticeable. Could someone tell me which option would be better in this case. Or if there's any free third party tool that can convert from high poly to low poly efficiently. that would be fine as well.

Replies

• Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    In most cases I'd say it's better to just optimize the highpoly/basemesh (remove support loops) and use that as a start where you then either simplify or smooth the model wherever necessary. If your topology is shitty (e.g dynamesh) it would be better to just make a new lowpoly version of it though. Topogun is pretty popular for this, but Blender works pretty well too as long as you turn on face-snapping. You might want to look into some plugins as well like F2 and BSurfaces.

The only case where I'd use automatic decimation would be for rocks/cliffs and such and even then that'd just be a start and I'd do manual pass on it to make sure it all looks good.

I haven't used Blenders decimator much but my impression of it is that it's pretty bad. If you've got access to ZBrush Decimation Master is great, otherwise Meshlab works pretty well too.
  • Stormrage256
    I don't know if it's because of my mesh, but Blender's decimator tool doesn't let me go below a certain tris count without heavily distorting the polygons. I'll try Meshlab and see what happens. If it doesn't go well, I'll try out the face snapping in Blender. Thanks a lot, man.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Using the decimate tools inside blender or any app, should not be used for a final low poly mesh 99% of the time.

When making the lowpoly mesh you don't have to stay with 90 degree edges bevel them if needed, then when you bake the normal map and texture it, the edges wont be that noticeable. :)
  • Stormrage256
    Using the decimate tools inside blender or any app, should not be used for a final low poly mesh 99% of the time.

When making the lowpoly mesh you don't have to stay with 90 degree edges bevel them if needed, then when you bake the normal map and texture it, the edges wont be that noticeable. :)

I did try Bevel, but didn't try applying the normal map onto it. I'll give that a try as well. Some of my smaller models are very simple meshes, so there is a chance that bevel might be enough for them.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    :)
    When not doing that you just model over your highpoly.