Home Technical Talk

how do i get texture like this in SSS ??

hey guys im a newbie my example character is in the left i have misss fast skin-diffuse,bump,epidermal,subdermal,specular,10 scale. how do i get the look in the right picture i dont get it ??? ive done so many tweaking but the right picture is too good for mine.. how should get those looks , pls help experts thanks !! forget the eyes and the lips i just to learn the skin looks in the right side. thanks !! BLBRWlp.jpg

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    First off, you need to focus on anatomy and proportions. Sculpt a head in zbrush with spot on anatomy by using lots of reference...take your time. You said you did this fast...which is NEVER going to lead to good results if you don't know what you are doing. Shader stuff and maps like subdermal are going to be useless unless your base sculpt looks great. Start over...sculpt a head and get everything looking anatomically and proportionally correct. Assuming you have little experience with creating heads, there is no way it's going to be a fast process.
  • dafuqawew
    hey thanks for replying i didnt do this fast , it takes me forever to do this this,and i have a deadline for this project though.
    i said its "misss fast skin shader" which you can find in maya.i think the its an alright model , expect for the ear im going to texture that with photoshop, i just want to have my character to have a skin looks like the right picture. as i can see from the others they sculpt alien character with a human skin like this and it looks the same , its not about the anatomy , some of them have alien character still looks good, i just want to learn sss looks from the right picture thanks
  • dafuqawew
    slosh wrote: »
    First off, you need to focus on anatomy and proportions. Sculpt a head in zbrush with spot on anatomy by using lots of reference...take your time. You said you did this fast...which is NEVER going to lead to good results if you don't know what you are doing. Shader stuff and maps like subdermal are going to be useless unless your base sculpt looks great. Start over...sculpt a head and get everything looking anatomically and proportionally correct. Assuming you have little experience with creating heads, there is no way it's going to be a fast process.

hey thanks for replying i didnt do this fast , it takes me forever to do this this,and i have a deadline for this project though.
    i said its "misss fast skin shader" which you can find in maya.i think the its an alright model , expect for the ear im going to texture that with photoshop, i just want to have my character to have a skin looks like the right picture. as i can see from the others they sculpt alien character with a human skin like this and it looks the same , its not about the anatomy , some of them have alien character still looks good, i just want to learn sss looks from the right picture thanks
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    well one easy difference I spot is that you're using a really low resolution texture for the face while your reference is using a picture that shows even the smallest skin pores.
    Also you'll need to paint different textures for the subdermal layers, it's not just a matter of throwing on an SSS shader.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.yurialexander.com/tutorials/realistic-skin-detail-and-color/
  • Der Hollander
    If I'm not mistaken, the SSS Fast Shader is a Mental Ray shader, and your render looks like it's a screengrab from viewport. If so, that's going to be part of it. The other factors that are leading to your render not looking correct have already been explained.

You're going to want another texture map for the SSS color, and it's fairly critical that you get the anatomy right. subsurface shaders rely on vertex information from your model (In real-time solutions this may be stored in a map) in order to calculate how intense the effect is based on proximity of the face behind it.

Beyond that, your roughness map (gloss map, whichever you prefer) isn't set up correctly, your highlights are a bit too tight. Since skin is really rough and translucent, the only time you should see tight highlights on skin is if it's wet.